Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blind Taste Test

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 57pbass, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Lets say we set up a reference amp to be used for testing and lined up a ....

Fender Jazz
    MIJ Jazz
    MIM Jazz
    Mike Lull Jazz
    Lakland Jazz USA
    Squire Jazz
    Carlo Robelli Jazz
    Peavey Jazz Style
    G & L Jazz
    Lakland Skyline Jazz

All Passive - all pots wide open, amp set flat, same strings

We then sat blind folded in front of the is set up and had someone pluck the open strings..

Do you think we could indentify the bass being plucked or could tell the difference between the USA Lakland and the Carlo Robelli

I think I would have a very hard time telling the difference between the 2000 bass and the 199 bass.

I know this is flawed and there are many other factors that come into play when buying an instrument. Also there would be a huge difference in the actual feel, weight and construction accross the board of the instrument so this is strictly a question about the sound of the instrument.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A similar thing has been done on here a few time and most times have clearly demonstrated that we are much better at picking quality with our eyes than our ears. That said, its quite possible that everyone hears things slightly differently so to one person, the bees knees of tone may come from an SX and to another it might be a Sadowsky.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think i could tell the difference between a few of them, like perhaps the MIM jazz , squier, as compared to the mike lull and others. I dont think i could tell the tonal difference between a lakland skyline and a usa lakland, never know though.

4. They'd all taste diferent depending on the finish and how they're prepared.

5. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Awee Cwap, I missed the "LETS SAY" part :D

I was looking for results, guess I should read a little more carefully:ninja:

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, we could do this for about an hour. Than I would sit there, look up, and ask for that hour of my life back

Rob

7. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    What's the point of listening to recordings when I can post pics for you to ooh and ahh at? When there's so much fun in being convinced mine's the best? Killjoy. :spit: :D

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Plucking an open string would be tough to tell alot. Where you would really start to separate the men from the boys is how evenly the notes speak on different parts of the neck, are there dead spots, how well do the pickups respond to harmonics, how straight is the neck, how much tension is on the strings (do they feel spongy or stiff) etc. I tell you this, there is a difference and a pro player will take 20 seconds to point them out, otherwise why would anybody spend for a pro bass if a Robelli or other cheapo sounded and played as good or better?

9. +10 zillion

not only that but there is also a difference between individual instruments, setup of the instrument, the player, the recording, the rig used....shall I continue?

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not until you reread the first post:

This is not a question of playability or feel, its about sound. You don't even get to lay your hands or eyes on the intrument.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IIRC, many putative audio experts from the hi fi world refuse to take these blindfold tests citing various excuses. They are of course, scared that their qualifications maybe found wanting if they picked cheap gear over the fancy stuff.

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Most importantly they would find they just wasted precious moments of their lives

Rob

13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Why is it a waste of time? And why do you keep posting the same thing? Isn't that a waste of time?

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

maybe its a waste of time that you read it

Rob

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    You have a secret don't you?

16. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

ok, you got me. My left sock has a hole in it

Rob

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    So why the reluctance to do a simple tone test without hype?

18. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I could think of maybe 2500 things I'd rather do than sit with a blindfold on while some guy plucks open strings on instruments I wouldnt gig with. Make sense?

Maybe we could do a blindfold test on the smell of bottled spaghetti sauce after we do the open string test

Interested?

Rob

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You were not invited so quit yer snivelin'

20. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hey, you've already spent more than half an hour arguing how you don't want to waste your time :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.