1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blind test: 18mm vs 19mm on Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 10, 2008.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    So, would you be able to tell the difference blind folded on the same 34" six string bass?

Generally, and specifically on a six, what are your preferences?
    I'm getting for the first time a six, and I ordered it in a 18mm, I wonder whether it'd have been better 19mm... would I have really noticed the difference ?

Paolo

2. The difference is slightly noticeable, but it doesn't bother me. Some people with fat fingers really notice it when they try slapping, but if you work at it, it shouldn't be a problem.

lowsound

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I notice for about 10 seconds when I switch from my MTD Artist 5 to my MTD Z6, but I've practiced enough on both that once I make the mental adjustment, I'm there.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The spacing at the bridge doesn't mess me up as much as the spacing at the lower frets.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL

I agree - 1 7/8 at the nut is essential for me. I do prefer 19mm at the bridge, though and can really feel the difference.

Dan K.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure how long it would take me to notice it but I'm sure, especially if you told me, that I'd be able to feel it after a while!

7. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Yes. I pluck near the bridge. The difference between the B and E is subtle. But the feel between the B and C is very noticable since I have short fingers.

8. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback... so far I feel comfortable with the idea of 18mm... we'll see when I get the bass ! :)

Grazie, Paolo

9. Spacing is hugely important to me, at both the bridge & nut. Not for fat fingers, but sloppy technique. I play 4, 5 & 6s- all 19mm/Jazz-ish nut spacing.

10. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    I'll be honest, I don't even know the string spacing on my basses. I just know if a bass is comfortable to play and both of them are.