Blind test: all tube amp, vs hybrid vs Joyo OD pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Track # 1

31.7%
  2. Track #2

30.2%
  3. Track #3

28.6%
  4. Track #4

9.5%
  1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Most people on here (myself included) seem to think you can't beat real tubes for overdrive...well i thought i'd do a blind test test for myself with my gear including 1 all tube amp, 1 hybrid (valve pre) and 2 OD pedals.

These consist of:
    Ashdown Little bastard 30 (30W all tube) - speaker DI
    Ashdown ABM500 - DI'd post EQ and valve pre
    Joyo American sound overdrive - straight into recorder
    Joyo Ultimate drive - straight into recorder

All samples are Fender US P with oldish Roto 66's steel strings via one of the above into a Zoom 8. No other processing or effects. I haven't been able to do any mic testing as yet as i need a decent DI overdrive option for my band so just focussing on this at the moment. So bear in mind they would sound different post speaker. The LB30 is also coming out from the speaker DI option so includes power tube OD.
    All are pushed into OD: first half is light OD, 2nd half is with added gain.

So let me know which one do you like best? Which ones the "real" tubes?

NoiseNinja, P-oddz and Hubriser like this.
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The first one sounds like a tube amp to me. The 3rd sounds like a pedal. Not sure of the the others. I like the first one best.

zapped777 likes this.
  3. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I voted for #2, as the best sounding track regardless of tubes or not.

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Can't tell, too long since I played through an overdriven tube head.

I can tell you what I personally think sounds best though, and to me that is without doubt the third sample.

The two first sound a little too brittle in my opinion, and the last sample sounds muffled in a way.

This could probably have been fixed with an EQ, but anyway just playing along on the premises.

Though having a tube preamp myself I run everything through before going into my sound interface when doing home recordings my guess is that the second sample is the tube preamp, cause it sounds like crap when you really crank it, as in the last part of second sample ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I feel like tubes are more noticeable on guitar where you have more high end saturation. I have yet to play bass through an all tubes rig though so that's speculation.

I guess #1 as being full tubes and #3 as the hybrid, considering how versatile even a little joyo pedal can be it seems hard to do a good comparison like this though.

Did you have them all set up relatively neutral?

6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Will the correct answers be revealed at some point or will it stay a secret?

Cause I sure am curious as to what is what.

7. Well. It´s hard to knowing it. But I´d bet for the sample #1 for the real tubes.

It´s what it offers me probably the best warm tone with natural compression.

Though I could be wrong!:smug:

8. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Not so scientific i'm afraid...just my regular settings on each item, which aren't that dissimilar...punchy P bass with some bottom and top end added. Besides getting neutral flat tone on an ashdown is quite a challenge...they have quite a "baked in" warm tone.

Of course...i wouldn't be so cruel. I'd like to leave this running for a short while yet though and get a few more votes/opinions

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  9. Before I make a choice, I heard your first Joy Division riff. Fantastic taste, there:)

Also, you should have run a speakersim. They all sound fizzy to me.

zapped777 likes this.
  10. Grapevine921

Grapevine921 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't know what was what but #1 was my favorite

zapped777 likes this.
  11. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interesting thread/clips/idea. I've done some stuff like this at home too, but your results seem a little closer than what I was able to record. I just recently purchased a Joyo Orange Juice and was on another thread claiming how close I was able to get tones of my AD200b, but when recording, I was finding that I would have to have to do too much eq tweaking to properly showcase it in a clip and having a 3 month old at home doesn't afford me the time to dink around just to prove a point to myself :)

Regardless...

First, I'd say that there are quite a few variables going on that make this a hard apples to apples comparison of tubes vs. not, but that could also be me rationalizing that I couldn't really tell like I thought I would be able to, and my love and devotion to all tube amps would be destroyed as a lie. And I can't live with that.

So putting that idea on the line... I'm going to say that I think #1 and #3 were tube and #2 and #4 were the Joyos. #1 seemed to have the most smoothest response of all, rounding out the bite on some of the high notes where #2 really sounded like what I was getting with my Joyo recordings where it's a little more scooped and drastic on the upper and lower register and then falling completely apart and losing clarity at its higher gain settings. #3 and #4 were hard to tell for me.

12. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Interesting....interesting....leave this for a little while longer. Would still like to get a little more feedback.

Why thanks! And totally agree on the speakersim if this was for studio (or mic'ing the cab where applicable)...but this is for me to see in a live situation which DI signal i like the best so speaker sim not applicabale this time

FaithNoMan likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'll have to check it out later through some bigger speakers. But, honestly, owning and loving an Ashdown LB30 I find its overdrive horrible.

Groove Doctor and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  14. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    #1 sounds best to me, so I hope that's the tube amp :)

But if it is not the tube amp, it looks like I'm getting another pedal.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    FuzzFacetious likes this.
  15. I went with 2, as it seemed to be very pokey and had the least amount of compression. It was far from my favorite, though.

Edit, just listened to the later part of that one. Wow, it got ugly. I'm really not sure due to the fizziness. It kinda reminds me of my Coron guitar distortion I had towards the end XD

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    3 - tube, 4 - hybrid, 1 & 2 - pedals?

17. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    I have the Joyo UD, retired it. I'd be shocked if#3 isn't that pedal.

kesslari and Buzz E like this.
  18. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    These types of threads are awesome to call your perceived notions into question, but also terrifying knowing your street cred is on the line.

Thanks for doing the clips. I hope I'm at least partly right. ;)

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Haven't a clue.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My guesses are:

1. American
    2. LB-30
    3. UD
    4. ABM

Won't tell you why I guessed what I guessed, but I have my reasons.