Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blind test. Can you match each soundclip with the corresponding bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ari, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    You may remember the blind test from last year which was great fun - I thought it would be a good idea to make a new one. This time I have decided to record all the basses with the EQ flat, with the preamp engaged.

Here are the basses:

[​IMG]
    MTD 535, myrtle burl top, tulipwood body, wenge/wenge neck, bartolini pickups and preamp, fresh MTD strings.

[​IMG]
    MTD 635, buckeye top, ash body, maple/rosewood neck, bartolini pickups and preamp, fresh MTD strings.

[​IMG]
    Warwick Thumb BO 5, bubinga body, wenge/wenge neck, crel pickups & John East BTB-01 preamp, fresh DR strings.

[​IMG]
    Sadowsky 24F 5, ash body, maple/maple neck, sadowsky passive soapbars and sadowsky preamp, fresh Sadowsky strings.

[​IMG]
    Sadowsky P/J 5, alder body, maple/rosewood neck, sadowsky humcancelling pickups and sadowsky preamp, fresh Sadowsky strings.

[​IMG]
    Sadowsky Vintage Jazz 5, ash body, maple/maple neck, sadowsky humcancelling pickups and sadowsky preamp, fresh Sadowsky strings.

[​IMG]
    F Bass BN6, ash body, maple/maple neck, F bass pickups and preamp, fresh Labella strings.

[​IMG]
    Marleaux Straight II, dibetou body? , maple/rosewood neck, Delano pickups? , Marleaux preamp, fresh Marleaux strings.

Here are the clips:

finger1

finger2

finger3

finger4

finger5

finger6

finger7

finger8

So... which clip belongs to each bass? Don't forget to tell which are your favorites. Once this blind test is over I'll post the 2nd part with slap soundclips.

Ari

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    just after a quick listen I'd guess that the MTDs are 5 and 7 and the warwick is 6.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Maple body, marleaux pickups (made my Harry haeussel).

Peace,
    JP

4. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    thanks for correcting. Are you sure it's maple ? There is some grain on it which doesn't look too much like maple, but I can sure see some flame here and here.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    maple with some burl and flame if I remember correclty. not quite sure now...

Ok, I'll try after just listening two time to each clip throug headphones:

1-24F
    2-635
    3-Marleaux
    4-PJ
    5-BN6
    6-Warwick
    7-535
    8-standard 5

Peace,
    JP

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    They're all #7? sorry, bad Monty Python reference.

No idea.:help:

#3 sounds the bestest to me. A tiny bit betterer than the others.
    I hope it's the F.

say, I just noticed something. I played them all back at a very low volume, and they sound exactly the same. Dang, does that mean that all the nuances get lost except for in critical listening environments? Is the audience missing all the nice little flavors that we get obsessive over? Unless you're recording solo bass, is the mix rendering all our basses anonymous? Phooey! I may have to rethink my whole philosophy!

7. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    What fun :) My guess is...

1 - MTD 535
    2 - Sadowsky 24
    3 - Sadowsky V5
    4 - Fbass BN6
    5 - Warwick
    6 - Sadowsky p/j
    7 - MTD 635
    8 - Marleux

I might just make a complete fool outa myself... but what the heck :D Thanks for the clips Ari!! This will really be an eye (or ear rather) opener!
    I like numero tres best!

8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i'd say 6 is the warwick, but all the others, :confused:

I like the sound of 5 the best, all the others are too zingy. But then again, i'm the kind of guy who wont take a bass out of the house for a week after changing strings.

9. I´d say number 2 is the Warwick. Others are a complete mystery to me, but I like number one the best.

10. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I agree!! :D

11. You got it. Pursuing the perfect sound is an admirable goal in its own right, but don´t fool yourself by thinking that anybody in the audience cares (except your bass playing friends). :meh:

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    but what if your buddies who do care can't even hear it? Yikes, that's depressing. :crying:

Do you have a favorite Ari?

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guess is that 2 and 6 are the same brand of bass.

14. I liked sample 3 most and sample 2 the least, but I have no idea which bass is which (as your basic playing technique sounds so different from mine I find it hard to make any reasonable guesses)

15. Another vote for # 3 as being the best sounding clip, with # 8 coming in as second choice.

As for which bass is which; I have no idea.

AND YES, you do have too many nice basses. Send one or two over to my house for summer vacation, OK? :D

Mike (very jealous ;) )

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Btw i like number 8 the best.

17. It's all fingers and amps and such but tell me # 8 is an F bass

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    thats the one i like. all i can tell " because of lack of experience with any of these basses" but #2 has to be a sadowsky

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I liked 6 and 8 the best, and I don't want to play the game.