1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blindfold test-70's style jazz bass shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narud, Feb 25, 2008.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ok- so i thought id have some fun before i take off to work here in a minute. i love me some jazz basses. primarily ash/maple marcus style basses. so heres a blindfold test of three of my basses.

a) 1978 fender jazz bass-completely stock. no aftermarket parts. around 11.5 pounds.
    b) 2001 75 fender jazz bass reissue. bad ass 2 bridge. everything else is stock. around 10 pounds with the badass bridge.
    c) hotwire funky 77 5 string jazz bass. nordstrand single coils,j retro preamp, badass 5 bridge. around 9.5 pounds.

the mp3 is the 3 basses played back to back. not in the order mentioned above. the line played is a little piece of run for cover.

played through my rig, i think some of the nuances are captured a little better and to my ears the 3 basses sound pretty different. in this clip, i dont know if i could tell you which bass was which if they weren't my own.:D

so, take some guesses as to the order!:bassist:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm just going to guess that the first sound clip is the Hotwire, second is the 78 jazz, and third is the 75 Reissue.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm not hearing much of a difference here, which kind of surprises me since I can definitely hear the differences on other comparisons over the 'net.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    terrible quality cell phone pic

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i was actually pleasantly surprised that they were as close as they were when recorded because i can easily tell which is which when going through an amp.

btw, they were recorded through an mbox

6. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    They all sound very similar. Only slight difference. Maybe try recording some stuff without slap and see if there's more of a difference.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    wow, here at the office on my cheap headphones i can't hear any difference at ALL in the clips. i'll have to listen tonight at home on my studio monitors.

i'm shocked, because i thought the hotwire with nordys and a j-retro would really sound different.

fun thread!

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Joe, they all sound the same to me! I couldn't begin to guess.

W

9. Here is what I am hearing...

A) Hotwire Funky 77 5 string
    B) 2001 75 Jazz RI
    C) 78 Jazz

:bassist:

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Only difference I seem to hear is on the low end thump. I think the last two sound deader in the low end then the first does.

No clue which is which though.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, that's where I heard a slight difference but that could be attributed to technique or strings.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    all of them have pretty used dr's on them. the 78 has fatbeams, the reissue has some old hibeams i took off another bass and the hotwire has some old lowriders

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'd say:

1-2001
    2-'78
    3-Hotwire

I hear smoother highs and more midrange growl in the second one, reduced lows in the third, and a good balance in the first. My favorite is the third, whatever it is.

But I could also think that the third one was the '78 because the weaker volume (older pickups). And the pickups are adjusted too high in that one, you could here the strings too close to the pole pieces. ..

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    haha, that usually doesnt happen, but i started getting sloppy by the time i got to that third bass because i wanted to finish.:D

15. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    same guess here :)

Although the recorded sound is VERY close, I believe that the difference is how do YOU feel when you play each of them and that counts too.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i actually re recorded some of it because i realized i wasnt thumping as hard some of the times. it was hard to remember to keep that consistent.

17. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I couldn't detect a difference on my headphones, which are pretty cheap.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Cool, different strings and inconsistent technique...I nailed it.

:D

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thats why i went back and did them over. haha:ninja::bag:

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Even so, I played them in a continuous loop for quite a while and there's still little inconsistencies in attack that are noticeable. No biggie. I do it all the time. It's those little human elements that make me prefer human musicians over synth-bots.