Blink 182’s Mark Hoppus Reveals Cancer Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Mark posted this on his social media accounts today.

F5F7255E-04DD-4FE9-9894-76202217C8C5.jpeg

Cancer sucks, wishing him the best.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wishing him all the best. Cancer sucks.

Peter Torning and stuntbass77 like this.
  3. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Good luck Mark.
    B.

stuntbass77 likes this.
  4. Wishing him the very best.
    Stay strong Mark.

stuntbass77 likes this.
  5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Good luck Mark. I’m going thru the same thing right now.

Hopefully it’s a cancer with good survival rates.

Relayer71, JoshS, Rugmaster and 2 others like this.
  6. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Great attitude! I've been fighting cancer for almost four years now, although sometimes it seems more like an endurance sport than a combat sport: two full-on open surgeries, immunotherapy, and now this nasty tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Through it all I continued working out every day, not to mention working working. Staying positive and staying active are the most important things.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  7. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    That’s the attitude that keeps you alive. My wife was told she would have to have a transplant in 5 years or she would be dead and it 6 now. She has a rare autoimmune disease that requires a living donor as it’s hard to get high meld scores for this disease ( won’t go into it but Walter Payton died from it as well as my brothers wife’s father ). It also has a really high rate of turning into cancer and by the time it does you are too late. She is so strong and will not let it keep her down and at times I forget to some extent she has it ! I feel for all of you and know a little bit what it’s like to not know what tomorrow brings ! Sending up prayers for all of you !!!

tindrum, JoshS and Green Knight like this.
  8. JoshS

JoshS Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Missed this the first go-around. I'm not a huge Blink-182 fan, but I do enjoy some of their stuff and respect MH's work. Looks like a variant of non-Hodgkin's.

Mark Hoppus diagnosed with stage IV diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: 'My blood's trying to kill me'

His mother had it (and BrCA too!).

I had no idea about you guys. I'm so sorry. All of you have my thoughts, prayers, positive energy.
    This caught my attention as I'm a Hodgkin's survivor. Cancer is kind of like a fraternity with the worst hazing in the world, but when you meet another survivor there is a weird kind of bond. Wednesday was my 11th anniversary of my "N.E.D." day. :) One of the best and worst days of my life, so it always puts me in a weird, reflective kind of mood.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks for the extra info and link on Hoppus’ case. I’m currently going through chemo for a similar NHL. CLL in my case. Overall survival rate is pretty good, fortunately, especially for younger patients.

tindrum and JoshS like this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh, and thanks, my friend!

JoshS likes this.
  11. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Sorry to hear that. I hope he pulls through.

JoshS likes this.
  12. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I lived through Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Treatment is better these days. A positive mental attitude is everything.

JoshS likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021