Blink 182 and Tool...weird tones.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FearOfGodX, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    allright. Two tones that confound me here.
    Tool Paul D'Amour and Justin Chancellor have diff sounds, both of which I can't figure out.
    Blink 182 also has a weird kinda "twangy" sound, like on Rock show, how do they get that?
  2. Mark Hoppus from Blink 182 plays a Custom Shop Fender. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-pickup. He plays with a pick close to the neck, moving his whole arm in a jackhammer-like motion. On your amp, you may want to cut the mids, and boost the lows/highs.

If you want more specific information, do a search. From what my memory serves me, these folks have been discussed endlessly.

3. I don't know how Hoppus gets his tone, and i don't care. but Justin's tone is manly from his Wal(s).
    very midy range
  4. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Tool is the best band ever!
    Anyone agree?
    My favorite album is Aniema.
  5. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Tool is the best band ever... look into their music and read a few books on it... they get even better.
  6. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Hoppus uses a Seymour Duncan P-Bass Quarter Pounder pickup. VERY punchy, sounds kind of the opposite of a "mellow" pick-up, hence his tone.
  7. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Best band ever? well..thats stretching it but stuff on Opiate and Undertow is catchy. i DISPISE lateralis (the new cd). i am ashamed to say i own it. more ashamed than old ska cd's like mustard plug. :D
  8. Mustard Plug! Now THAT's the best band in the world!!!!! least I think so

Justin gets his tone from his Wal and two Mesa boogie cabs and heads I think, that's was BP said anyway.

Paul played a pre-EB Stingray, don't know abouthis rig,
  9. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    shame on you....i really liked lateralus. the grudge has to be my all time favorite tool song. i love tool, they are my all time favorite band. i agree with that other person to read about them. i bet you, if you actually sat down read the lyrics and reasearch more about the meanings and symobolism involved, the music will become much more intimate and touching to you.
    i strongly dislike blink 182...

paul played some early stingrays and a bunch of ric's.....listen to songs like "hush"... awsome slap bass technique

justin deffinitly gets that odd tone from his is mid ranged wal basses and im pretty sure his cabs are all messa boogie 4x 10"s. he also has that odd guitar-style bass playing technique that makes is work a little more complicated and faster. thats not to mention all the effects that are used!
  10. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    the new tool cd is great, what are you talking about :p

ewww mustard plug is crap ska...
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    these guys tones have been asked before, do a search and youll find all ya need to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.