Blink 182 on the hell?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Walker, Apr 29, 2000.

1. Walker

Apr 25, 2000
    Hey I just watched Blink 182 play on Jay Leno and when I was watching Mark Hoppus play the bass he seems to be playing with a down then up stroke to blay the 16th does he do this? I tried and the pick gets stuck on the up stroke and I also hit every other string.....that is probably alot to do with just starting yesterday, but is there a special way to old the pick and a way to stroke to get the 16th notes on an up and down?

2. i'll probly be one of the few, not denouceing a pick, but dude, if your just starting, dont go strait to a pick. anyways, he wears his guitar super low, (like me) so it enables him to do this (like me), also he uses .60mm picks (like me, well i use .71mm, but whose counting?) so the pick is thinner, and a little easyer to do bass strumming.but most off, he's used to doing that. when i started praticing doing up down 16th's, the pick was flying out of my hand. so go for a pick around .60mm, and just start with only doing it to the e string and work on to the a. but for the most part, those'll be the only strings you'll be able to do it with. also, you can angle the bass a bit, so the e, andonly the e is below you.
  3. chris wright

chris wright

Mar 31, 2000
    i also play my bass around my knees i find it is easier for the style i play, as muttluk said it is easier to play fast up and down strokes blink 182 are a good example of this style as are NOFX anyway i know this probably didn't help at all but yeah a thin pick is a lot easier to play faster but a pick around 2.00mm i find makes a better sound
  4. Walker

Apr 25, 2000
    Thanks Guys,

Since I am just starting out I am practicing with my fingers while sitting, but at the end of my self taught lesson I love to just crank up the punk and play along. I had to get a new strap go get it low enough and I found that my shoulder hurts a lot less and It actually feels much more comfortable that low...and easier to play I find...

I grabbed a .60mm pick and I still find it very choppy.

If I strum (Down, down, down, etc.) I can get a fluid nice sounding strum. If I try to play (Down, up, Down, up) then I get this choppy sounding twang thing that sounds really bad. I have tried holding the pick really tight and really loose, as well as kind of strumming at an angle, but that sounds a little scratchy. And we won’t even talk about trying the up, down on the A string...woooooh

All I know is that I have a lot of respect for people that play punk because jumping around singing, playing, and everything is hard!! I have fun when I do it and I suppose with practice I'll get faster.

So if you have any other tips for holding a pick or strumming.... how to strum up and down punk style without strumming every string I would appreciate it.

5. thundermonkey

Apr 20, 2000
    the way i've always pikked is holding the pick with my thumb, index and middle fingers, anchored the heel of my hand just above the strings (or below, depending on your perspective; give it some thought and there's only one obvious location), and moved my hand back and forth with the bass angled at maybe 45 degrees or more and i just practiced it until i could do it really fast. i also wail the daylights out of my strings with a 2mm pick when i do pick, so if you're sensitive about the strings use a thinner pick, but i like the sound of a 2mm better. anyway back on subject(sort of), i don't think you should be too sensitive about how hard you hit the strings, unless i'm just doing it horribly wrong. also one great example of 16th notes is the Panic Song by green day.
  6. i use .71mm picks because i like the softer feel with the picks, but i dont care if i break the string, cause i use GHS bass boomers, they are garenteed not to break, so just get a new set if they do. i just dont like the sound of a 2.00mm pick because it sounds too heavy, i feel like if i want to hammer away at teh strings, it wont work wiht that heavy of a pick because it puts too much stress on my hand. i'd rather have the pick absorb the shock then my thumb.
  7. also another thing with Mr Blink182 (Mark) he has a really quite flexible wrist this would also help him play the up and downs much easier and i have also found that he uses a motion of wrist and fingers, for example
    flick your wrist down/out and kick out ur fingers then kick in your fingers then flick in your wrist and for the flexible wrist if your a blink fan like i am (please no comments, hehhe) and if you are after the wrist like mark owns, well we all know how he go it.

PS. he also works his shoulders to get that up stroke working, now you no why he also stands and looks weired wile his singing :)
  8. I've been alternate picking since the day I started playing nine years ago, so it's always been second nature for me. It just seemed like the easiest, most logical thing to do that day when I dragged my stepfather's Jazz out and started playing Blitzkrieg Bop. It's all in the wrist; it takes very little movement of the wrist to do alternate picking properly. If your pick is flying away, it's probably because you're moving your wrist too much and hitting other strings, holding the pick too tightly, or using a pick that is too heavy. If you're having trouble, try to make sure you have the heel of your hand rooted on the upper bout of the body, and make sure you're not trying to get too much of the pick in there. Alternate picking works best if you just use the very tip of the pick to pluck the string. I use the yellow tortex picks, which are about .70 mm or so. I find that anything thinner gives a very weak sound, and anything thicker isn't flexible enough.

For what it's worth, alternate picking isn't good for just playing fast 16th note passages. I play this way no matter what I playing. It gives you more control over your right hand technique. Technically, you can get twice as much done with the same amount of movement. Think about it - if you only use downstrokes, for each note your wrist is moving down once and then back up to prepare for the next stroke. If you use that upward movement for the next stroke, you've minimized wrist movement. Alternate picking does allow you to play faster, but it also allows to to play more fluidly.

[Edited by Matthew West on 10-19-2000 at 09:54 PM]