Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blink nfg,sum suck ass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jredstar_marley, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, I really think you need to check out other bassist.

Hoppus is not fast at all in any songs Ive heard, besides he's playing with a pick which makes speed not an issue. Im sure he could play faster than whats in the songs, but he is definetly nothing special when it comes to speed. As far as solo's go, he doesnt play any. Listen to Jaco Pastorous playing Donna Lee or Portrait of tracy to hear some real bass solos.

The other guys are not really that great either, just average bassist. That being said, they are still better than Hoppus. Most the bassit in the local punk scene play either as good as or better than the guys you mentioned. I think NFG might even be from here. Its not my thing so I really dont know.

Bottom line, these guys are all overrated by many people who havent heard what enough bass to realize what can be done on it.

Peace
    Nick

i definatley aggree with nick. sum 41 nfg all those bands suck ass. no ofense. you cant compare those bassist who play with a pick than to like... jaco. cause he rukes. id like to see hoppus play a jazz bass with his fingers as fast as the great bassist, like jaco or lee. so my advise to slacker, get some jaco Cds and check him out! then youl know whos underrated.

one love
    J.

2. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    pop punk...

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm guessing that you hit the 'New Post' button rather than the reply... Of course, I may be wrong :)

-robert

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I play with a pick alot I suppose I "suck ass" too. These guys are doing what fits the music. Just because they're not doing something as complicated or as good as Jaco doesn't mean they suck. Does everything have to be special to you? I just don't get why some people say oh this bassist sucks because that riff wasn't complicated enough or something... blah I don't know how to get my point across I'm sure someone will say it for me.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Good thing i suck... hey, what i wanna know is, why is this thread open, but when i start one, that sipley asks why almost every bassist on this thing has got their head up their anus. I GET SHUT DOWN. Now why is that?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I smell troll....

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hard to say, but I suspect that in your particular case EMBALMER felt your thread was inherently self-referential and canned it under the "NO SPAM" rule. Of course, that's just a guess.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Polly, are you trying to get banned? If you have problems with a Moderators decision, an open Forum is not the place to discuss it.

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    yeah yeah,, Hoppus isnt the best,, everybody knows that! Lets pick on Tom Araya for a change!

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It would be hard to breathe in that position.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Whoa dude chill out!

I dont want my post associated to any of this B.S. that you are posting.

My post was simply to say that they are not underated and probably get more recognition than they deserve, not that they S@$# @$$.

I was telling this guy to check out real speed and check out the local scene to see whats around before he says that they are underated.

Ive got nothing but love for pick playes, as a mater of fact I use pick where it fits and even used a pick through a couple parts of practice today.

I think you should chill out before you get banned, and my @$$ becomes asociated to anything you say. I really dont like your 'tude.

Peace
    Nick

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Mods,

Please delete this thread or edit this guys post, I dont want my name attached to what this guy is saying.

Peace
    Nick

13. since talkbass is not regulated by an all powerful facist regime bent on squashing debate, I'm pretty sure you won't be banned because of someone elses post in your thread. I think...:confused:

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    is it just me or should this thread get shut down

bp13

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know the mods here are cool, and wouldnt ban me, but its painful to see that my post on another thread is this guys motivation, and I dont want it to ruin my rep.

I wasnt bad mouthing any of them, I was just saying that they get the recognition they deserve, and maybe even a little bit more.

Peace
    Nick

16. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    fascism:1)a political philosophy, movement or regime that exalts nation above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader(s?), severe economic and social regimentation and forcible suppression of opposition. 2)a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control.*
    hmmmmmm..............

*According to Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition.

17. Not just you.

18. Just because they use a pick doesn't mean the "suck." Have you heard Chris #2 or Matt Freeman? Yeah everyone used to love Mark and the pop punk scene. But then we moved on to bigger and better things. Yes they do "suck" compared to Jaco but they're not solo artists so you can't compare them to Jaco. You can compare them to Matt or Chris, though. I agree they do what's needed to fit the music.

Countdown till this thread is closed:

19. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    What is up with the negativity around here? There are certain bassists that I don't particularly like, too. But, I'm not going to bash them. Because other people do like them. What is the point to offending someone? I'd rather discuss bassists that I do like.

As far as the whole pick vs. fingers deabate... I use a pick about 95% of the time. I started out on guitar and just feel more comfortable playing with one. Plenty of bassists use a pick, plenty use their fingers. I think it's pretty pathetic to judge a bassist by how they play. You should be listening instead to what they play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.