blinking lights... warning signs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thump326, Nov 19, 2004.

1. thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    hey, I don't know much about amps, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have a Fender Bassman 60 amp and it has 2 little lights labeled "pre amp clip" and "pwr amp clip." It also has a button labeled "limiter." What exactly do the lights indicate when they blink? What does a limiter do? I just figured it has something to do with protecting the amp, so I always have it on when jamming.

Is it bad to crank the volume all the way up? I'm really paranoid of damaging my rig.

How important is it to have a big amp? Almost every gig i've played I've mic-ed my amp and run through the venue's PA (or whatever it's called). Is that bad?
  2. it's more important to avoid clipping the power amp (i.e. dont' make the power amp clip LED come on) than it is to avoid clipping the preamp. in fact, many people prefer the tone of an overdriven preamp. try playing with the limiter on and off. see if you notice a difference. the LEDs are, like the title of this thread, a warning sign: don't go further. in fact, take a step back. now you'll be fine.

as long as you are careful about it, you can explore the practical limits of your amplifier. what does that mean? try it at home, not at rehearsal or at a gig. goog luck.