1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blister not going away?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LazyFatNinja, Mar 30, 2013.

1. LazyFatNinja

LazyFatNinja

Mar 19, 2013
    So, I've been playing for a month or so and had blisters about 3 days in. I simply popped them and continued playing. About 2 weeks after a blister returned on one of my picking fingers and now I've read that you are not supposed to drain them because you'll ruin the callouses. But this particular blister won't go away. I took 2 day pause and still, nothing. I am not particularly interested in taking anymore breaks so tips are really appreciated!

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm of the 'callouses are uncool' school of thought so my first reaction to this issue would be to check your setup on the bass and your playing technique.

Imo this is especially important for beginners because it can help avoid health related issued later on like tendonitis etc.

How high are your strings off the fretboard? How hard do you play? In most cases you can get by with playing softer and turning your amp up. As a side effect this will most likely also increase your dynamic range upwards but ymmv.

3. LazyFatNinja

LazyFatNinja

Mar 19, 2013
    I would think that they are about 5-7MM. I know I am not supposed to, but I really rip the strings hard. I just can't help myself when I play the heavier stuff. I however go loose for other songs.

4. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    If this was the double bass forum, I'd say that it'll just take time to build up the callouses (after ten years on DB I still get blisters after particularly long rehearsals/gigs), but since this is electric bass we're talking about, I'm going to +1 Nashrakh's advice. A properly setup bass should be a breeze to play and should not take much effort at all to pull a good tone from.

So, you want a low action, turn up the amp, and use a light touch with both left and right hands. Try playing without letting your left hand thumb touch the neck - if you cannot do this, your strings are probably too high. Also, no need to dig in too much with the right hand fingers - you're actually killing the note doing this.

Take it from someone dealing with tendonitis and CTS after over a decade of 'digging in'... go easy on your fingers, hands, and wrists. If you need the attack, maybe play with a pick for heavier stuff?

5. LazyFatNinja

LazyFatNinja

Mar 19, 2013
    I'm getting a proper bass so I guess that problem will solve itself when I get it. Playing to a 100 buck bass at the moment so I figure it might be a bit harsh on me. I guess I will try to not dig in so much anymore. Probably just need to get used to it. However, should I drain the blister or just leave it be?

6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Remember, a new bass may also need a set up. Personally, I doubt that your present problem is the fault of the bass.

The advice so far is very good, i.e. try to play with a light touch, and be aware that you may need to work on technique.

My advice is to leave the blister alone. The fluid in a blister helps to prevent infection. While I know it is frustrating, I'd give it a few days without playing to allow it to heal.

7. LazyFatNinja

LazyFatNinja

Mar 19, 2013
    Yeh, I tried it out and it is not the basses fault. I am however still going to buy a new one so it's W/E! So, I suppose the fluid will just keep building up if I keep on playing? God damn it.

8. Tough it out. Round wound strings are hard on the fingers, so if it really bothers you, switch to flat wounds or even nylon coated flat wounds (LaBella Deep talking strings). If you're going to tough it out with what you've got, put some GHS Fast Fret on your stings and cover your blisters with a band-aid, then tape.