Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blister problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mangeswe, Jul 28, 2004.

1. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    hi
    i started playing the DB about 1 year ago and i get blisters (excuse my bad english) very easily. after playing only about 1 hour, i feel the pain in my fingers and i really don´t feeling motivated to continue. i know this is the problem every bassplayer got to live with but should it not be gone by know for me? anyone got any tips to get the fingers used to it?

thanks

2. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    If you're still getting blisters after a year (!), what type string are you using? And how high is your action? Your technique could be hurting you as well- You say you just started a year ago- Is this a new bass you started on? If so, I hope you're not playing on the shipping strings that came on the bass-

3. Gettin blisters is part of playing doublebass. I've been playing for well over 45 years and I can count on getting a blister about once a year if I'm not playing every week. Returning from vacations can sometimes be a painful experience. Many bassist use some type of lubricant on their finger tips. I've been using Chapstick lip balm on my fingers for decades. Not much mind you, but just enough to reduce the friction a little between your fingers and the strings. Don't use anything like vasoline petroleum jelly since that stuff makes you skin softer and seems to make it easier rather than harder to get a blister.

Moped10 makes some good points, but blisters still do happen even with basses setup the lowest action possible, especially if you lay off for a week or so.

4. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've found that I'm more vulnerable to blisters when there's a change in season (humidity). When your skin gets too dry, it'll crack. When it gets too wet, callouses will break down and separate from the skin they're built on. Fluid builds up and you've got a blister. I drain 'em since they're gonna break anyway while I'm playing, and that's pretty gross all over your fingerboard. I don't know of any secrets to avoiding or correcting blisters, and I can't turn down gigs just because of a blister. I usually try and keep the fluid out, and play through the pain. I assume the blisters in question are on the right hand. I never get blisters on my left hand.

5. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    thanks