Blister Today - Big Gig Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Hoping someone can help me out here.. I searched for blister info and found a bunch of GREAT info on how to heal it after a couple days but didn't find any info if you need to use your fingers immediately.

I was playing double bass (I know, wrong forum) tonight for a rehersal and got two quite large blisters on my index and middle finger. I'm not wanting to pop them because I know they'll just hurt worse tomorrow for a 2.5 hour gig.

My question is, what can I do for a temporary patch to get through the gig?? I have New Skin on it right now, but I've heard it doesnt last too long. Other thing I have heard to try is superglue before the beginning and between sets to atleast form a temporary callous to atleast get through the gig. Or, I can just suck it up and play on the blister. I'm just trying to find the most reliable way to get through the gig with a minimum amount of paint. We are playing a few burner charts, soooo, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated..
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's one thing to make a mistake, but quite another to acknowledge it beforehand and still do it.

Oh yeah, tough it out. It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

3. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    3 options:
    1.I recommend you do only what you have to do , minimum playing , don't go soloing and try to do just the necessary staff for this gig.
    2. try to put bandaid on your blisters and see how it works , might ease the pain a little.
    3.find a good bass player who can replace you for this gig only.
  4. I know, I know. I figured the remidies would be the same though whether it was DB or Electric.. The fingers are all the same.
  5. 1. Luckly, its a big band, so no solos.
    2. They dont hurt too bad right now.. I might try the superglue remedy just do toughin them up so they dont burst or anything
    3. Unfortunatly, thats not possible. This is my first gig as a perminent member with this big band which is a big deal. I mean, I've been trying for a while to get into this band and now that I'm in, it would be bad if I ditched the first gig..
  6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I've used that liquid bandage "newskin" for just this purpose. give it a go!
  7. I put some new skin on last night and by morning it had flaked off.. I might try to put some on right before the gig.. I talked to my bass prof. from college and he just that new skin will just make a huge mess on the strings.

As much as I hate to, I might just play electric tonight instead of double bass..
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Play the electric. I know that'll be a drag, but at least it's different pressure points. And at least you won't hang up the band by missing notes or dragging the time down while you weep in pain. Also, you can create some serious tissue damage by playing on heavy blistered, bleeding fingers.

If it were me, I'd just fess up to the leader and tell him your DB chops were soft. You'll probably already look like a weenie for getting DB blisters, no sense loosing the gig, too, due to playing in pain .............
  9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish

it isn't water soluable, so I wouldn't think it would smear the strings.. but I am probably wrong.
  10. Superglue. Just make sure you have some superglue solvent handy "just in case."