Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blisters and calluses :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tyler Dupont, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Ok guys, how do you handle blisters ? pop em, leave em ? What's the best way to turn them into calluses ?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm lucky I guess. I play my bass all the time, and if I get a blister, it's usually after a practice, and by the time I wake up in the morning, it's completely healed. I've never had a blister for more than I guess a few hours, so I've never had to deal with the science of them...

3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    you see blisters are the nasty things that piss me off. ive only gotten one and it pissed me off a whole lot. after pulling out a blister from my right index finger (my strumming hand) it stung and a somewhat of a blister formed under my callus making it impossible to play without a pick (i HATE using a pick, it limits my skill) so i popped it hoping it would stop there, heal and in a week be fine. but again it blistered. after about 2 weeks on playing with a pick i finally got really mad and bit my whole callus off (this HURT) but after a week i played my bass with my raw skin and through the pain it finally grew back into my callus.

this probably wont help you but for blisters just try to let them heal on their own (i take a sports medicine class and we just learned about that) and if you must play, use a pick (i know it sucks but it will go away) or just bite it all off like me and live in pain for a few days

do whatever you can deal with

4. for my blisters mean i am playing to hard.
    take a little break, let the blisters heal, and after that play with less effort.

give the calluses a time to build up so that blister are not a option.

5. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

well, unfortunately I get them all the time... I'm a slap addict *waits for boos and hisses* Mostly while practising that slap pluck pluck rolling motion that we hear wooten do so well :) it's just frustrating when you come up with something really cool and want to play it alot but it hurts too much. I'm finding if you drain the blisters without taking the skin off they heal pretty quick and harden. I'm just hoping there's some super secret out there that someone isn't telling us.

6. I got my first (and only :D) blister from playing bass about a week after I started. I noticed the blister forming (I'm assuming that they do take a wee bit o' time to form, of course. :p) while I was sitting in the car on my way home.
    So, being the little fool that I was, when I got home I immediately popped it with a pin.
    Well...it turned out ok, actually. By the next day it had turned into a pretty heavy callouse, and I haven't gotten a blister since. :D

7. ive never gotten blisters, only calluses. I still dont know why......but im not complainin :)

8. the secret to killing blisters can be found in lasers. i just do a little touch up work around the parameter of the blister with a high powered laser and that does the trick.

9. i'm kidding, don't use lasers.

10. sorry there is no trick.

let them cure, after that when you start to feel the heat in your finger for a few seconds stop.

keep doing this until you build calluses.
    trust me you do not want to spend you life popping blisters.

take your time there are plenty of us great bass players out here.

don't be in a rush, don't try to find magic

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to get them every once in a while - and it was always in the middle of a 5-day gig. No easy cure. I just lanced them, taped my fingers, knocked back a shot, and sweated out the night. Second day was usually worse, but the third saw the callous start building up again. It makes for a painful few days, but when the rent is due - ya do what ya gotta do.

12. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I did this little trick one time just to get me through a few practices. Get some super glue and a hypodermic needle. It may be hard to get the hypo, but since my mom is diabetic, she let me have one. If you cut the needle off of the base of the syringe (leaving the part that holds the needle to the syringe), it is almost the same diameter as the super glue bottle. Put the ends together and super glue around the outside and let it dry up to form a seal. Then lance the blister with a different needle to let it drain. When it is drained pop the hypo in and shoot a LITTLE super glue under the skin. Pull the hypo out very quickly and let it dry. It will be hard as a rock. The skin will come off after a day or two, along with the glue, but the skin underneath was pretty tough. Its a lot of trouble, but it worked for me.

13. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    The trick is to use tea tree oil. It will turn a blister into a callus overnight. Try it.

14. NIKOS

NIKOS Guest

Apr 20, 2001
    GREECE
    what's a tea tree oil? where whould i find a tree that "makes" tee.. and how do i get the oil of them??????? LOVE TO EVERYBODY!! //bass is the base//

15. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Or you can wrap three hairs around a chicken bone and and burn it with a bag of monkey nuts while shouting I'm a little tea cup!!!

Mike

16. damn thats why i always used two hairs. ;)

another method is to use a grinding wheel.

hold you fingers against the wheel until your finger tips are gone, trust me bone is harder than flesh if you expose the bone you will not have to worry about blisters anymore, plus it give you a nice bright tone. :D

17. I hate to bring this back to reality, I'm ROTFLOL. Here is the scoop on blisters from a wilderness oriented EMT. Blisters are God's way of telling you that you have abused your flesh. They are best left unpopped to heal by themselves. You can protect them by building up tape around the blister to the same height, or use Moleskin or Molefoan with a hole in the middle for the blister. Most musicians (and hikers for that matter) get frustrated, pop them and then tape them. This has the potential for taking longer to develop calluses and also for infection. I would be extremely careful about super glue and skin. While this material has some medical uses, it is extremely easy to get into trouble using it. If you use it, keep lots of acetone (fingernail polish remover) close by as an emergency solvent. Otherwise, you could be visiting your friendly local surgeon. No joke.

18. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Tea tree oil comes from the Tea Tree (duh) of Australia. It has many uses and on more than one occasion I have put it on a blister and woken up with the blister gone and a light callous there instead. It is the only thing I have ever heard of that will do this. All other blister remidies are just trying to cover the blister with something until it heals. The stuff is expensive but it works like magic. I suggest you get a small bottle at your local drugstore or natural foods store and try it yourself. If you don't like it, send the rest of the bottle to me. :)

19. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Gotta go along with my EMT friend, from a wilderness disoriented physicians stand point. Blisters are formed for a reason, allow them to resolve themselves. The skin underneath is very soft and exposing it to the friction of bass strings can lead to more blisters and infection as well.

Mike

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t know why, but I don´t get blisters OR calluses..(at least I haven´t noticed..)