Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blisters! :eek:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, Jul 13, 2001.

1. I was just jamming with a few friends for about 2 hours and when i came home i realized i had two big blisters on my fingering hand. Any advice on what to do to get rid of them so i can keep playing?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They used to go one of two ways for me when I used to get them and "go away" wasn't one of them.

1. Keep playing but not for long stretches and they turned into callouses

2. They broke and I played for short periods to toughen up the skin.
    However, when you have to rehearse and play gigs that isn't an option. I used to get out the super glue and I could play all night.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    What I ALWAYS do is pop them first thing when i see it.. Just put a sharp needle under fire for a ltitle bit to kill the germs. Then. push on the blister a little bit to stretch it a little then just poke it with the needle.. it won't hurt.. then just squeeze the rest of the "goo" out.. then get some neosporin and bandaid.. this is better off IMO since it won't hurt as much when u play again.. i mean u can grow calluses later.. just worry about now. since you need to practice now :D

DM

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The tips of my fingers are so hard now, i rarely get blisters.

I miss the days of having soft finger tips. ;)

5. Call me ignorant, call me stupid, but what exactly do you do with the superglue??

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well since the problem was in the fingertips I would assume that he didn't sniff it!

Call it a bit of armor plating for the fingers.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sniff it. The resulting buzz lessens the pain! :D

Actually, applying it to the tips of your fingers creates a protective shield that will let you play longer. Eventually, you'll have to go the callous route...
    -robert

8. rickbass

Touche, Gabe!

Just squirt it on the fingertips. It was originally developed to seal cuts made during surgery before it was used to mend broken plates.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, that's cool. I did not know that. :)

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    My fingertips have gotten so callused I can't pick a coin up off of a table; I have to slide it over the edge. Tonight it took me five minutes to separate a slice of cheese from the block. :mad:

Maybe it's time to switch to flatwounds...;)

11. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Scotland,
    Superglue eh... This sounds like a good idea :)

My skin is still getting tougher.. But I have never had a blister yet.

I've had some broken skin but nothing much that would affect my playing. I also once made both my fretting hand and fingering hand turn a nice bloody-red :D

12. rickbass

Now they make a medical grade and a utility/home repair grade. But I know some rockabilly upright bass players who use the stuff from the checkout lane at the grocery store and they never had a problem.

If your skin is normally highly sensitive you might play it safe with one of these drug store spray-on bandage products like New Skin.

13. Picking up a coin, that's one thng... But no one messes with my cheese! :D