1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blisters on my fingers... Gig tomorrow at 9:00pm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thisisntme, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM.

1. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    I hadn't practiced in a while and I played a bit much at band practice about an hour ago. My pointer finger has a medium sized blister. I don't see one on my middle finger, but it feels like it has one as well. I'm playing a gig tomorrow.

What do?

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    use a pick

RobertUI, klejst, Ric5 and 9 others like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Pick and/or tape.

RobertUI and pacojas like this.
  4. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    Unfortunately not an option, my pick technique is so rusty it will give my bandmates tetanus.

5. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Let the water out of the blister and tape it up. Then, be careful pulling the tape off when you're done.

6. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Third vote for tape. I keep a roll of medical tape in my gig bag for the nights I couldn’t hear myself well enough on the previous gig and dug in too hard.

Edit to add: I was told once to let the blister heal as long as possible before draining it. Not sure if that’s sound medical advice, but I always waited until just before the next gig to pierce it.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless both you and your band mates dig blood dripping down your bass, it may be your only option. How about plucking with you thumb on the simpler lines?

Andy Daventry, pacojas and dagrev like this.
  8. Best not to open the blister to avoid an infection. You said you can't use a pick, use your other fingers. After I had a blister on my first finger, I learned to play with my 2nd & 3rd fingers! Turn the volume up on amp so you can play easier

9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I used to play anyway finger style when I was having this issue. Now, it looks like tape could be an option. If I had used tape before, I would be able to recommend or not. That’s all I can add... :unsure:

10. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980

Dec 2, 2016
    I heard Flea would put super glue on his blisters. Instant callous!

11. M Attacker

M Attacker

Apr 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I was gonna say this! Yes a heard this too. I'm sure it's great for you.

12. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Another vote for super glue!

wesonbass, diegom, Tritone and 4 others like this.
  13. JerBear80

JerBear80 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    MN
    Fabric band-aids work well too. It takes a little while to get used to the feel but they hold up well and the padding gives a nice cushion.

lethargytartare, LYNCHMAN and pbass74 like this.
  14. twinjet

twinjet CFM-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    You could try hanging out a little higher on the neck, utilizing B/E string positions and just relying on your middle, ring and pinkie fingers. That's what I would do.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Search for my thread on taping fingers. Directions are in it. That's what I'd do, just tape them like I do when playing upright. Put gauze over the blister so the tape doesn't stick to it.

EDIT: found it, here you go: How to tape fingertips

Bunk McNulty and Henrik Horneber like this.
  16. Super glue works. If you drain it drain it carefully from the side.

17. I also play guitar and mandolin, and played bass for many years with a pick. Switched to fingers on bass about 2 years back but always carry a pick in case my fingers get too sore. I think I lose some tone variation control when going back to a pick, but it's better than sounding really bad due to blistered fingers. I suggest you get your pick technique back up to snuff for the future.

Thump on,

One_Dude

pacojas and dagrev like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i was working in a hospital when i started playing bass = access to lots of tape(s)!

OP: good luck with the calluses! :thumbsup:

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

20. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Wear a soft mitten glove.