1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blisters On My Plucking Fingers... How Do I Get Rid of Them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My band played for a quick 40 minute set (we were one of 4 bands) last night.

I figured since we were only playing 40 minutes I'd give 'er to the max. We played a great set, but now I have some pretty brutal blisters on my plucking fingers.

I asked my wife if I should pop them, but she said no.

I have a 3 hour rehearsal tomorrow night, gig Friday and a gig Saturday so I really need my fingers healed.

Any ideas?

2. I usually drain a blister from one of the edges, but I still put a bandage on it.

I've never had to play a show with a blistered hand though. Are there any songs that you can play with a pick to give your fingers some relief?

3. everyt single time i've gotten blisters (from playing or from the rowing team) I'd pop em and peel the skin off. DONT DO THAT! It hurts more than just leaving it alone. If you want to do something about it, pop it with a pin or slice it, leave the skin on and smother it with triple-antibiotic ointment and cover it with a band-aid.

this obviously will affect your playing, but its the best and quickest way to get over them I've found. Use a pick where and when you can for now, and play softly

4. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I had a mean blister on my thumb so I carefully popped it and drained the fluid. I tried putting a bandage over it but it got in the way so I tried the superglue trick. That worked very well, but I kept getting it all over my fingers.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    A belt sander will take those right off...

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Yes, you need to pop them.

Blisters are really nature's band-aid, but they heal up the skin too well. If you leave them and let nature nature take it's course, the pus in the blister will only soften your skin, and you'll get more blisters on the the new skin.

Poke the blister with a needle or some nail clippers (hopefully sterile) and drain out the pus, leaving the skin of the blister intact (kind of like it's deflated). Then cover it with superglue, and the old blister skin will create a callus.

7. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    +1 definetly build your caluses.

pop them at night, the second day that it is a blister. that way it will dry up over night and you wont feel it as much. I do cut the skin away, but dont cut it all the way to the edge, leave about a half mm. on the third day, dont play unless you have to. on the fourth day and after, play like crazy. It will build caluses with the least amount of pain.:D

8. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Use a pick :)

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, superglue is your friend here.

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You could always switch to tuba for the weekend, also.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I might have to resort to playing with a pick the whole time.

I think I am going to try draining them.

12. Use a sterile needle. Don't be risky like me and use X-acto knife blades crusted with 2-year-old model airplane glue and some blackish substance that is slighlty sticky.

13. pop it with a needle and tape it. nothing more nothing less.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I popped the big one (using Gin to clean the needle as I had no rubbing alcohol) and I am leaving the smaller one heal on its own. Going to see which method works better.

I experimented with playing with a pick and some of the songs will be tricky to play, but I think I'll manage okay.

15. Do the pop and drain method but leave the skin on.
    Wait a couple of days or use a pick in the meantime, but after a few days, get into playing with your fingers again and build yourself some nice callouses!

16. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    To the drain and super glue procedure.

Play a little softer but turn your amp up slightly.

Practice more. Build up them callouses.

17. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    My doctor friend advised me not to pop a blister.

That being said, i don't pop them any more. I just either play on the blisters, or wait for the swelling to go down.

18. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    stop playing Helter Skelter

19. tape tape tape, usually works. I find that if you can get away with leaving it, just putting tape over it I'm better off. If I pop them I tend to lose more skin that I want, and completely lose the caluse. If I leave it and tape it the caluse seems to stay, and then if I end up losing the skin later it heals quicker.

I did a week of busking a month back, and after 2 sessions (of about 4 or 5 hours a time) my fingers were in pieces, started using tape, just before the blisters got the point where they were bleeding. I had to tape them when I was playing, then take it off straight after to let them breath and heal up a bit. then tape it up each time I played after that. Managed to lose the caluses because I popped one of them, all healed up nicely now though.

I used to use superglue, but found that it was more detremental to my fingers than it was helping them, I'd play half a gig and it would have worn off and taken half of the skin with it.

20. Buy a Knife from FL Knifemaker and cut it off!. :)