Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 10, 2001.

1. to the ppl who have been 'slapping' for a long time...

i'm beginning to learn how to slap...and i've learned a lot of new tricks...but my practice time is really gettin eaten up becauseof the blisters that have grown on my index and middle fingertips...did you guys have this problem when you were learning?
  2. I think that almost everyone has had this problem. If you haven't, you probably haven't been playing long enough.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, it's like when you did your first long walk in hiking or army boots.
    Let the blisters heal and keep going. It'll go away.
    Just keep in mind that slapping is about momentum, not force. Actually very little force is required. So don't bash those strings into oblivion. Always check your technique and tone, and with constant practice those blisters will be history.
  4. seriously man!!!...i mean, i noticed that if i put 70% concentration on my left hand and 30% concentration on my right hand (i'm right handed),
    i play cleaner and's cool...i'm totally with you on the momentum-force's all in your form...thanks a lot..

if you guys have any tips you wanna give me, then please do, i'd appreciate it.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One thing that really works well on the blisters/popped blisters is any of the super glues. Super glue was originally developed for use by doctors in lieu of stitches, not as an adhesive. It doesn't get tacky and gunk up your instrument, either.

It came in handy not long ago when I started learning two-fingered popping.
  6. thanks...but i WON'T be using that method...

anymore tips, anyone?
  7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Tea tree oil works for me. I have put it on a blister when going to sleep and woken up with the blister gone completely. Plus you can use tea tree oil for a variety of other purposes. Try it, it works wonders.
  8. rickbass, you mentioned two finger popping... what exactly is that, im sure I can imagine, but what exactly is it used for and how do you go about doing it?
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was listening to Ray Riendeau and tried playing what I heard. I quickly realized more than one finger was popping (I only use it with slap technique as a rule). Then I found this

BTW, Spearhead, practicing it with stainless steel roundwounds creates a new callous site on your right middle finger. I can testify.