Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I went and did it to myself Tuesday night

Played two hous of show tunes getting ready for a pops concert. Blistered two fingers on my right hand from all the pizz. Ouch!

Where's the tape when you need it.

I hope they heal by next Tues. for next practice.

2. I went and did it to myself last summer.....

Played bluegrass with a borrowed bass for a week in folk festival. 3 gigs a day plus rehearsals plus 4 hour jam sessions every night ( actually they tend to last until you drop dead or are allowed to go to sleep... ) and all this lasted for 5 days.
    For reasons unknown I got some blisters
    ( from all the pizz maybe ) but survived....

3. Tail her, Joe:
    I'm assuming you're playing arco next Tuesday. I have a nasty but effective way to deal with blisters if you absolutely must keep going thru pizz gigs.
  4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I'm going to use friction tape.
  5. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    There's also the guitarist's friend: NewSkin, which is collodian dissolved in ether. Available at any drugstore. Brush on a couple of thin coats and let them dry. Also good for covering up broken blisters.
  6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I forgot the tape and everything else so I just played. only one blister and it took only 2 days to heal I think I see the start of a calus ;-) I thought that it would be my left hand that would have blisters not the right index finger.

7. bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Well I read somewhere that atheletic tape helps, and it is flexible..and doesn't leave your fingers all sticky. I don't know how it will work, but I'll let you know when i try it.
  8. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I just played till they hurt real bad then kept playing. Now I can pizz all I want all my fingers are in shape.

How ever playing a pops concert sucks two hours of 1/4 notes most of the time way too fast or way too slow.

9. In the bad old days, before there were amps, that's how we all did it.
  10. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    >>I think I see the start of a calus ;-)<<

Wear those callouses like a badge of honor, son!

I saw trumpeter Wallace Roney at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. The bass player was Clarence Seay, who was subbing for Buster Williams.

Seay showed me some excruciatingly painful-looking blue (!) blisters he'd formed on his fingers over the course of a couple of nights, which didn't surprize me considering the drummer was Lenny White! My own fingers would've been worn to the nub after one set.