Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blisters!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fastplant, Jan 14, 2003.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Believe it or not I actually have done a search and read the 10,234 threads about blisters, but couldn't come up with an answer for my question. I played bass for many years, but I took a break for a while and drummed for a band for a few years. Anyway, I'm back to payling bass and in the meantime, I lost all my callouses. So I started playing again last week and of course I got some pretty nice blisters. Anyway, I don't have much of a chance to just let it heal as I'm going to be playing a lot in the next few weeks. Here's my deal: I popped the blister and now it's like a white piece of skin on the top of my finger. I'm dying to just rip it off, but I know that that's bad for it. But it seems like it's not going to heal if I just leave it alone. It's like a separate piece of skin and is not going away. Should I just rip it off and start building a calous or should I play with it the way it is and hope it turns into a calous (which it doesn't seem like it will because it's been like this for over a week). Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

2. I just had a similar experience. I played for about 8 years, and then took a 2 year break(career, life, moving about the country 3 times). Anyhow, I joined a band in Boston this past summer, and I play w/ elixers, so I didn't experience any blisters... but now we're recording our first album, and I switched to DR Low Riders for a better sound. Well, needless to say, I've got blisters on my fingers like I haven't had in years. I carefully used a needle to poke a small hole, and lose the water, to allow them to heal. That seemed to do the trick for me.

...and I also have a pretty big gig next week! :eek:

...but to answer your question, I'd just leave it alone. If ya lose the skin, then so be it. But I wouldn't just rip it off.

3. Yea, let it fall off it'sself if need be. If you have something important, you could use some super glue, although I don't recommend it. (becuase i ll get flamed! ;))

I know I'd rather build up harder skin. The glue will give you a nice sliding ability, too.

:cool:

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, I guess I'll just let it heal on its own.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Me, I like to trim away the loose skin after it's drained. Moist skin is softer, and more apt to further damage, the way I see it.

I find that managing peeling skin is a concern even when you've got great callouses. If I don't trim that really thick fingertip skin once it develops a tear, then the strings are just going to grab onto it and tear further and potentially deeper. Nip it in the bud, I say. :)

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, it's basically all intact, it's just obviously dead skin still attached to the tip. If it rips I'll take care of it then, thanks! :D

7. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    In my experience with blisters I've found that I can form the best callouses by poking a small hole as far to the side of the blister as possible and letting all the fluid drain.

After several days, and if I've gotten all the fluid out, the skin starts to dry out and typically forms the base for a good callouse. That being said, sometimes when playing with one of these freshly drained blisters the skin sometimes gets damaged from the roundwound strings (I use DR Low riders too....great sound...but very abbrasive).

I wouldn't recommend tearing off the skin in any case. It helps to seal and protect the fresh skin underneath. I beleive it will only take longer to develop a good callouse if you tear that skin off, not to mention the increased pain in having to finger notes with that fresh, tender skin. Let nature take its course and if all goes well you'll have a nice base on some good callouses.

My .02;)

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I see what you're saying atldeahead, but my main issue is that it's been almost 2 weeks and that dead skin is not turning into a callous, and I believe that is because I'm playing everyday and not lett ing it heal. I don't have much of a choice about that, so I can't just not play for a couple days (I wish I could, hehe). But I agree with what you're saying. My question now is: Will the skin underneath forma callous or is it being protected by the dead skin above? If this is so, maybe I should tear it off if it's not going away? I don't know.

9. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    The best thing you can do is just continue playing.

If that dead skin is causing *major* problems with your tone then by all means, tear it off if you must. If it's been a couple of weeks then the fresh skin underneath should've had time to toughen up. I have a feeling that blisters and callouses are not the same from person to person. What I described in my previous post is what has worked for me. It may or may not work for you. You'll really have to make the call on this one. The road to rock hard callouses always goes thru blisterville so no matter what you decide to do, blisters are just par for the course.

Have you tried doing a search on the Internet about blisters and callouses in general? That might yeild some good advice???

10. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I got a blister on the side of my thumb a few weeks ago from it rubbing against the strings when I use a pick. I left it, it popped by itself and the remaining skin started a nice callouse. Hurray!

11. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'll give that a try, thanks!