Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by David Wilson, Jun 18, 2005.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Ok, I know this has been out a few months in the UK but I only recently picked it up.

They've been getting a lot of play on XM radio, which has been serving the dual purpose of letting me hear new stuff and draining my wallet with all the new cd's I've been buying as a result ;)

I like it a lot so far, I know they've had a lot of comparisons to Gang Of Four but I also hear Romeo Void in there.

The drumming is quite 'frantic' at times, can't think of another word for it. The bass playing is relatively simple, but there's some really nice grooves on songs such as 'Like Eating Glass' and 'Positive Tension'.
    http://www.blocparty.com
    Anyone else got this one?

2. Bloc Party are a top British band. I absolutely love them at the moment, I listen to the album once a day. I can't wait to see them at Reading Festival this year.... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    It's nice to see people in America like the album, and that they are getting some airplay.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I love "Blanquet" but imo the rest of the album isn't as good as that song.

4. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    They were extremely popular over here, as a result of the whole Franz Ferdinand/Killers trend of indie pop rock becomming so massively popular and hyped.

5. I had no idea who these guys were when I heard them in a music store recently. I immediently bought the album after hearing Gasoline, top stuff.

6. can you say Gang of Four?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can, and that's probably why I like them so much!

8. good rhythm section, but the album gets a little samey. I have trouble listening to it all the way through.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1

It's starts to get very boring after a while..