1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Block inlays or just dots on the ebony neck of a tobacco burst bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Nov 29, 2018.

1. I am going to order a tobacco burst Kiesel bass.I just wondered what would look best on the ebony neck.

2. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    Blank, side dots only.

3. I never even thought of that...

4. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    Ebony just looks so classy without visible fret markers. I feel the opposite about non-figured maple fretboards, they need something to spice them up a bit.

5. Whatever you prefer, as long as it's not dots, will look fine. Dots look cheap, blank looks cool, blocks look nice.

6. Thanks for the advice...my Birdsong is blank with side dots,and it looks really nice.I've always liked the looks of blocks. I guess dots are out.I will have to decide on the other two.

7. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Different strokes for different folks. I have no custom basses, but I have basses with dots, blocks and plain boards and I can understand why someone might even order a custom bass with dots. To you, they look cheap, to some they just look retro/vintage/legacy, it's all good.

8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Their diamond and signature pattern options look cool. They are different.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I'm afraid I have to agree. I actually have one with block inlays, and one with side dots only..
    Carvin LB-20 1.JPG '06 Carvin LB-20. Very nice bass, but those block inlays? They do sorts go with the paint (actually it's Lexus White Pearl), but still - a bit over the top. And, since Carvin is now Keisel, this is probably what you'll get, too...

Alembic Epic-2.JPG '96 Alembic Epic. Much, much more tasteful and refined, IMO...

But, it's your bass, so... please yourself...:thumbsup:

10. I really like the looks without dots or inlays.

Marko 1 likes this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Personally I dislike blocks. All I can suggest is you try looking at pictures of all options and make your own choice.

12. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Dang, I wish someone had told me...
    9854316A-02A3-405F-985E-01C597ADD937.

RNG1 likes this.
  13. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Funny timing on this topic, I’m about to order a Status neck (which is black) and ironically an using on a burst body and keep going back and forth as well. I have an ebony neck without dots or blocks on a Jazz I built up that I really like but I didn’t have s choice as it was a neck I found on TB, but of course now I’m ordering new so I have a choice...
    Here are some pics that hopefully will be of some help in your decision.
    My jazz and then below my dilemma
    98A57EA7-A703-4009-BABA-D2CC739E91D6. 12DA750B-375B-49A3-AABF-56873949CB5C.

14. Hey thanks for the pics. I think from looking at them I will go with just side dots.

ak56 and Marko 1 like this.
  15. By the way, those are two nice looking guitars.

16. You could always put stickers over them.

DigitalMan likes this.
  17. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    That’s what I’ve decided as well. It’s like a parallel universe thing happening. Good luck!

18. I hate to tell you, but blocks would look killer on that sunburst body. I do like the no blocks/dots on the first one though.

BnB

19. I have a zebra wood Birdsong bass that looks good with just side dots...I think my tobacco burst bass will too. Thanks for all the replies.

20. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Lol, I couldn’t hit the commit button last night. I keep thinking the blocks would look good on the burst as it’s a more “classic traditional” body and pg. Thanks for the comment btw