Block Inlays

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JoeDaddio, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Hey everyone... this seems like the appropriat place to put this...

I have a G&L ASAT bass with a maple neck, and I was thinking about having black block inlays put in the neck (ala the Geddy Lee bass). First off, I in no way am planning to do this work myself. So I was wondering if there are any good luthiers in the Orange County, CA area that would be able to do this. Secondly, does anyone have a ballpark firure of how much this might cost? And third, What do you think? Do you think it might be too much for a vintage styled bass?

Thanks guys,

2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Personally, I'd skip the block inlays. They'd just detract from an already attractive bass. By the way, I love the Kahler.
  3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    This is going to be a fairly expensive project for several reasons.

Firstly, it is always easier to do inlays before the frets are put in. Therefore, some shops will probably pull the frets to do the inlays, and therefore you're going to pay a few hundred for a refret.

Secondly, inlays in lighter woods (like maple) is a bit tougher in that you have to cut the section for the inlay much closer as you cannot fill it with dark epoxy like on rosewood or ebony without it looking, well, icky.

Lastly, as it is a maple fingerboard, it will probably have to be re-finished once all the work is done.

What I would suggest, if you're really sold on the idea, would be to contact a few companies or guys who do nothing but inlay work. They might be able to do it without pulling the frets and all. Or, have a new neck made with inlays in it already, or a really cheap, easy, and fast way to go would be to get those really thin adhesive inlay looking things. I forget the company that makes them.... lemme check my favorites.. yeup.. here it is:

4. Thanks for the input guys, and thanks to Bass Kahuna for all the info and the site.

If it would be cheaper to order a neck that way, maybe that's the way to go then. I would like to keep it looking like a stock G&L though, so maybe I'll just drop them a line and ask if they do any custom work like that.

I thought about the adhesive inlays for a minute or two, and its great that they offer that, but I think I would rather not have it done at all than cheat like that, ya know? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks again guys, and if anyone else has anything, I'd love to hear it,