Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

block inlays.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 12, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Can you actually put them on your bass? like a sticker or something. or do you have to get a new neck with inlays already in them.

i feel major gas for a maple neck+fretboard with block inlays..

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I guess you can do wahtever you want.. but 90% of the inlays are either painted on, or actually inlays.

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    You can have it done without changing the neck of your bass, but get a profesional luthier to do it for you.

It also depends on if you want to go the "stick on" route or want them to be abalone or mother-of-pearl for a more proffesional look.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

Geddy Lee's are painted I believe

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nino busted that myth, theyre real.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The word "inlay" infers that the material is actually inlaid in the wood. No stickers.

A luthier could do it for you, but it would probably be expensive.

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

can you actually get stickers that you just stick over the fretboard? is it a good idea?

9. They exist, and they look pretty good.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Just use a magic marker.

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    ohh ok cool! :) didn't know!

12. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    your part right man, Nino's bass had them inlayed but now there painted on

Everyone's right lol :p

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not quite. I was in on that thread, and I'm pretty sure it depends on how new it is. I think the current ones are painted, but the older ones are real. I don't know when the cutoff was.

Here's the odd part. Fender.com says inlays in one place and "rectangular shaped position markers" in another, and I'm almost positive I found info up there at one point that said they were painted, but now I can't find it.

Anyway, not to derail, so if we wanna pick this up, we should probably dig up the old thread, but fyi.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt doubt that the new ones are painted on.

Very fender-like thing to do.

:rolleyes:

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    That's okay.. it will add to the mojo years down the road when the painted inlays are wearing off :-D

16. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    painted on???? i always thought than when the geddys where painted it meant the blocks where painted black when they where originally white.

i am a little dubious about stick on or painted on blocks....the whole idea sounds a bit tacky and naff.

to be properly done my luthier uses a laser cutter ...seems like this is what makes all that block work from japan and korea so spot on these days.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, it's not as cool as inlays, but it's under the poly, so it's actually pretty safe, and will take some serious wear to get into them... especially on a fretted bass. :)

Personally, I don't mind. The reason I say that is because the money they saved on no inlays probably made a $200-300 MSRP price savings, and playing it and looking at it, you can't tell, and I'd guess the neck is probably more structurally sound compared to one with a mass production inlay job, so not too bad of a deal IMHO. Now if it was a premium hand made custom, I'd be ticked. :)

I believe mine has painted blocks and it doesn't bug me one little bit. :)

18. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i would think playing on inlays also would negatively affect the sound in some way. well, maybe more on a fretless, at least.