Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blocks O' Wood ?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Aug 24, 2005.

1. saw a cat today playing with two little pieces of what looked to be wood wedged above the bridge into the strings, any of you guys do this before ? looks to be some kind of sound muting thang going on....couldn't really hear the difference in sound as it was a pretty bad quality video..

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
  3. Was it Barry Guy, Ken Filiano, Tetsu Saitoh, or Matthew Sperry? Those are the cats I've heard (or heard about) doing that. And me, but I doubt that there's a video of that going around. There are a lot of cool "prepared bass" sounds, but a lot of them are too quiet to use in most groups and aren't picked up well by pickups. I'd get a mic if I was going to really get into this - sounds like the write-up in your Dresser post...

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mutes are used every now and then by orchestral players. They are sometimes made of wood or rubber or metal.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Catchy tune. I'll be hummin' that one all day.

6. Anyone know where I could find a transcription (with tabs preferably)?

7. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    I definately would have use a mute for that piece. That poor bass

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How come when I play with a bow I sound exactly like that, but I don't get gigs with it? If I paid money to see that, I would kick that guy in the balls.

9. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    i liked the video.

10. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  11. cool thought it was a mute....man that Barry Guy video is definately some scary bidness....not really sure what to think of all that mess....as for the video I believe it was Bert Turetzky

12. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    In all fairness I think its awesome. Barry Guy is also a virtuoso in all terms, baroque, free improvisation, and as a classical soloist. I prepare my bass in this way (and sometimes more extreme) and I have never had any problems. He also uses a Gand bass and has never had any problems with that so he tells me. Just because its outside playing it does not mean it is easy, quite the opposite.