Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blood Drive 2002...(GWAR)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    GWAR has officially begun their 2002 tour! This is your chance to see what I am always raving about! Check 'em out and post your opinions here! Check their tour dates page at www.gwar.net, to see if they're going to be enslaving a city near you. I myself, will be at the Milwaukee show on February 20th -- so, if anyone is in that area and can recognize me, make sure you say "hell-o!"

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide if we should go in our GWAR Halloween costumes. The downside of going in full battle-gear: 1) I may not be allowed into the venue with a pair of 12-inch spikes on my shoulders and 3/4" chains hanging from my chest and arms and 2) If I dress in my full costume and I am allowed in, I somehow doubt my beloved costume will leave in one piece. :(

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've only heard slaughterama but my friend said they used to be really funny but now there gothic.Whose the guy who had a Gwar quote in their sig?It was really funny and I wanna read it again.If you know tell me,if your it,post here.

3. Keep me updated.

I have seen them a couple of times but last year when they played with the Misfits the stage show lacked.

They still sounded good but . . . the stage was pretty clean when they left.

4. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Really? That's unusual seeing as every time I have seen them, I've had to buy a new shirt! ;)

To frankencow150 -- As far as I know, I am the only TalkBasser that has quoted GWAR's lead singer. Was it the "it's not the length of the shaft, it's the spurt of the chute" quote?

5. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    GWAR's Slymenstra Hymen will be on Ripley's Believe It or Not, tonight (January 30, 2002) at 10 PM, CST. Apparently, she is going to pass several million volts of 'lectricity through her body! From what I understand, she is listed in The Guinness Book of Records for doing the same. Woooooo!

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was going to go see them! I found out about it to late though. I just bought my NOFX tickets and now Im broke. I have to find a way to scrape up some dough or no GWAR for me.

7. They are playing FEB 9 about 50 miles from me!! I'm going!!!! Only an act of God can stop me!!!
    HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can ya tell im excited?

Hategear, do you know what tickets might cost?

8. That is a big surprise! When i went to see GWAR a few years ago, all I wore was a wife-beater, and a pair of jeans and my boots. My shirt was left in the parking lot, and I ended up driving home in my boxers. This time I want to get eaten by the worm!!
    The stage show was outrageous when I saw them, the slaves were getting cut up by Oderus Urungus, and being fed to the worm. Blood and raw meat and maggots were getting dumped on the crowd, not to mention what was supposed to be urine and feces and semen. Not for those with a weak stomach or a weak heart.

Definetely for those who like to witness a good ole masacree.

(insert maniacal laugh here)

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah my friend told me the singer has a big fake "shaft" that squirts out "goo" onto the stage.But chaosgwar,is it real feces,urine,and semen?If it it,i am NEVER going to a gwar concert.And whats the worm,and whats oderus urungus,and "the slaves"?

10. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    ChaosGwar -- good to hear that you haven't been turned off by your first experience! ;)

The first time I saw them, I had never been in a real mosh pit before. My buddy and I sat in the upper balcony of The Rave (Eagle's Ballroom in Milwaukee), so we could see better. I told him I had no intention of getting in the pit (I knew what kind of "matter" bombarded the audience, but didn't want to get my ass kicked by some knucklehead crowd-surfer in a pair of Doc Martens). My attitude changed as soon as the goo started to fly! I was down the stairs and into the middle of the mess before I knew it. I stayed there for about a half-an-hour and then went back up to the balcony to watch the rest of the show.

The second time I saw GWAR, I went with four other people, who sat in the back on their chairs wrapped with plastic! I was as up-front as I could get, with my hips pressed into the stage gate for over three hours. When we left, my friend stole some of the plastic wrap from one of the seats so I wouldn't get his car dirty. I wore my tee with pride and giggled at the looks I got when I would ask for directions back to the highway (I was literally covered from head to tow in "blood").

The third time I saw them, they were with ICP. It was funny to hear people that have never seen GWAR before, brag about how ICP was cooler cuz they threw soda on the crowd! :D

Since then, I have seen GWAR two more times and every time, I get right up front (everyone knows that the front row gets the most goo thrown at 'em). This will be time number six and I can't wait! From what I have read and understand, all the costumes have been redesigned to be more scary and less "cartoon-y." I've also heard Gor-Gor may make an appearance again this year! Did I mention how excited I am about this show on the 20th?

Oh yeah, frankencow -- the goo is not real, no matter what you may have heard. Nothing but good, old-fashioned colored water. I highly recommend that if you've never seen a GWAR show that you go if you can (that goes for anyone that is into this kind of music). Wear an old white shirt (so you can "collect" all the different colors) and take a clean pair of pants and shirt to change into after the show. My tickets were $16.50 from Ticketmaster.

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Ah that relieves me that none of it is real.

I was wondering,in general of all concerts,are moshpits dangerous?I'm thinking of going to warped tour this summer,and I'm 5'3,110 pounds,and have never lifted weights before.I'm afraid im gonna get hurt bad if i step into the 'pit.Any moshpit experiences?

12. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    two weeks ago in jacksonville fl...i came in a navy shirt,dark pants, and chucks...man o man...look like i dove in a pool of red kool aid after the show was done...some of the slaves come out on the last song (forgot what it was) and hosed everybody down...i open my mouth...and spit blood back at the slave... man it was cool... gwar sounded really good...gor gor came out too...as well as pope john paul...mary jane...and osama pinata (sp)...i only payed half to get in 7 bucks...good show:D

13. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Frankencow:

Moshpits can be dangerous, but you can survive one safely if you just keep your wits about you. Just keep your arms up slightly and make sure you keep your balance..you do not want to hit the floor.

My worst moshpit injury was at Finger Eleven.. I was slightly intoxicated and I got pulled down to the floor from behind. As I was standing up, I put my hand on the floor for balance, and someone with very large, heavy boots stomped right on my pinky finger. So, as a result, I got eleven stitches in my finger while at the Finger Eleven concert. (It's true!)

14. This will be the third time I get to see GWAR, and I'm taking my wife with me. She has never seen Gwar before. The second time I saw they played with ICP, it was just awesome.

My attire for this months show.... Steel toed work boots, ratty jeans, and a long sleeve shirt. It's freakin cold here in Feb, so maybe I can find a cheap long sleeve shirt.
    I was kinda pissed off about leaving my shirt from my virgin GWAR show, but it was totally soiled and just stank, but I later realized that was the point.

I don't really worry about the mosh pits, at 6'2" and 200 pounds. I do wear glasses though, so I'm usually worried about losing those, but this year, Uncle Sam gave me some glasses with a rubber strap to go under my gas mask, so I'm gonna wear those.:cool:

I am like, SO gonna try to get eaten by the worm.

Frankencow, "The Worm" is this big hollow "puppet" worm that eats people. If you get eaten, you slide down the worms gullet backstage! Oderus Urungus is the lead singer, and the slaves are these zombie looking dudes that basically just run around, get killed, play back up instruments, like the trombone in Saddam A Go Go. Check out the GWAR website if you are curious.

I got my tickets this morning for $17 each.
    I hope Skulhedface is there, he wasn't at either of the other shows I've been to.

15. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well, tonight's the night -- the big GWAR show in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I can't wait -- I've been like a kid at Christmas all week. I'll probably post comments tomorrow.

16. DUDE, Get pictures for me!! The dirty Rat bastards at my show confiscated all cameras!

Have a great time!

17. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Awesome, awesome show! We got there early so we could get right up on the rail and get the most blood for our buck. Had a few 5-dollar beers (that's right, $5 for one cup of beer) and waited for the show to start. Suffered through opening bands Goat Whore (I don't think we'll be hearing their name on the radio any time soon) and God Forbid. As God Forbid played, I noticed a few of the GWAR members hanging out behind the set, watching the show (in their human costumes ;) ). A few minutes later, Brockie appeared in front of the stage on the floor. Not one person besides me seemed to even notice him. I saw one of the security guys tell the guy next to him, "Hey, one of the guys is right there and none of these people even know it!" I caught Dave's eye and flashed him "the horns." He smiled and nodded at me. Soon, violence would arrive.

GWAR's stage show for this tour is very stripped down. No Slymenstra, no Sleazy P. Martini, no Sexecutioner and no Techno Destructo. Just GWAR and a few slaves to run the show. They opened with "Battle Lust" and I swear Dave remembered our "encounter" from earlier, cuz Oderus absolutely douched me with blood. The new costumes were awesome (they're a little less "cartoon-y" than before) and even though the stage show was stripped down and fairly basic (compared to years past), it was still very entertaining. Gor-Gor also made an appearance, which is always nice. They played about half of the songs from Violence Has Arrived and several songs from each of their previous albums.

Some craziness to note: One of the crowd surfers managed to get onstage and was quickly wrapped up by a GWAR slave. Towards the end of the show, someone crawled from the upper balcony to the top of the house speakers, which was probably fourteen feet or so from the top of the stage floor (maybe 18 feet total). He wanted to jump onstage, but the slaves were motioning for him to go back where he came from. He wanted to jump into the crowd, but eventually, his brain caught back up with him and he climbed back to the balcony.

Bottom line, I got my ass kicked in the pit (my ribs are still sore from being pushed into the rail all night long), I got my T-shirt ruined and I went home thoroughly satisfied, but eagerly anticipating their Halloween tour.

:)

18. GWAR!!!

Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed by "Goatwhore" and "God Forbid" either. Not that they were bad, though. My wife was surprised when the vocalist for God Forbid was a balck guy. She had never seen a black dude do metal before (even though she and I both love Sevendust) :D.

Thats cool you saw Dave in human form. I was trying to get a peek backstage, but I wasn't really able to see much.

I was kinda disappointed with the stripped down stage show, but nonetheless, it was a fantastic show. One of the slaves climbed up on top of the set and jumped off onto the stage, close to 15 feet, and a few people tried to get up on stage. I got to kick a few asses in the pit too, but not as much as I wanted, as I was being protective of my wife. But when they played "Immortal Corruptor" there was no stopping me! I hope they get back out here for Halloween!

get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures get me pictures

19. I use to be a big Gwar fan way back when. then, I thought they kinda cheesed out. the last album I bought was America must be destroyed. but then I heard "Immortal Coruptor" on Huevos 4. I went and got Voilence has arrived. now I can say "I'M BACK!!!"
    this new album rocks! they were in town last night. I missed 'em. but if any of you know the Detroit area, you know you dont want to go down to "harpos" unless you absolutely have to. it's one rough place to say the least.

20. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    GWAR has announced the second leg of their Bood Drive 2002 tour. They're supposed to be in Madison on the 10th of April. Once again, I'll be there! This will be my seventh show in about 5 years. Woohoo!