Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blood on Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Deletion, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I've played to gigs some days ago. The band was practising pretty hard the week before, so my ringfinger (i use threefingers) became kind of sore. The first night it didn't get any better, and the during the gig of the following night it kind of "explodet", my bass looked pretty messed up, as i played 45 min with a bleeding finger. I was pretty drunk, so i didn't hurt so much then,.... But the next morning :crying: it was kind of bad... Do zou guys have any storys like this one? Feel free to add some...

Attached Files:

2. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ahh thats pretty brutal man, fairplay for carrying on though! the blood came off the bass alright?

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

This is really brutal:

[​IMG]

4. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    That's really brutal. So's this:

[​IMG]

This fellow was covered in rancid sheep blood and also happened to have a cut on his hand which got infected and landed him in a hospital. Probably deservedly so!

5. Yeah, it just took some cold water to get it off ;)

6. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    You can come up with a better story than that, can't ya?? ;) :D

7. I wanna know how that happened..

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    +1

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Although that's not me, I know how is it because the same thing happened to me (although less scandalous). It's because of practicing slap technique for rockabilly double bass with steel strings (although those in the picture seem to be nylons). I love that style and really want to master it, but good gut strings are extremely expensive. That's why I stopped practicing that thing until I can get another DB with guts (better than switching sets for the same bass). With steels, which have lots more tension than guts, you always get those nasty blood blisters when slapping and if you pop them...blam! And practicing doesn't make things better (stronger calluses) as far as I noticed. I felt so enthusiastic about practicing this thing and did it once with those bloodies in my fingertips. The blood squirted in a not so nice way and one of my students who was present at the moment was really terrified, but again, it wasn't as disgusting as in the picture.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The good thing about slapping with guts is you don't have to have a really good set to do it. I bought a set of Clef guts from Upton and though I imagine they're not as good as Duglockis or that other kind that's like $500 a set, they are pretty darn good, and they're only $160.

Of course, they're sitting in a box now because I've got Pirastro Eudoxas on there now (trying to slap and be a man about it), but after seeing that picture again, I'm about ready to replace them with the guts again ;)

11. That sounds kinda bad, I really wouldn't want to do that...
    But the picture was kinda cool :D...

12. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Sliced my hand open swimming the day before the gig on a zebra mussel. Played the gig with 15 stiches on my right palm. Stained the area below the neck pup on my warwick permanantly...had to sand the bloodied wood off!!!

13. junction42

junction42

Oct 5, 2005
    Ended up with blood blisters on 3 fingers at one gig cuz it was really hard to hear any definition on stage so I just dug in ...also split my thumb open once when I accidentally 'slapped' the pick-up on my musicman ...now that one hurt!!! ...oh yeah, ripped the skin off around my fingernails ..was playing chords really aggressively with a pick, dropped the pick ...and well you can guess....

14. Heff

Heff

Dec 11, 2005
    yeeah i remember i put down my bass for a few months and then decided to pick it up again and start playing in my church band....:O and becoz the drummer was real loud and i was turned down i played really really hard, blood was everywhere but yeeah, can't really feel it cept for some weird warm sticky liquid on ya hand......<===sounds wrong hahaha

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    In college picked up double bass because I basically had to. Wouldn't consider BG as main instrument.

I was on that thing for hours everyday and, of course, developed massive deep blisters on both hands. I'd wrap my finger tips in white medical tape and call it good. Quite messy.

At the end of the school year my bass teacher called me into her office. She was very angry and accused me of playing the bass out in the rain. I said "What are you talking about? I would never do that!" She said come with me and we went down to where the basses were stored. She sez "Look at your strings! There covered in rust!"

And of course I informed her it was not rust but blood. That seemed to calm her down. Women. "Well alright - clean it up".

I was surprised she never noticed my fingers always being taped up seeing as I had lessons with her three times a week!

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm actually semi-expecting that to happen to me sometime - I play kiond of hard, but since I'm still soemwhat new to DB, the fatigue stops me. That and I don't really play too loud in Orchestra, about on par with the other guys, but next year should be interesting if I take up jazz and/or chamber orchestra...

17. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    When I started playing jazz, I was getting blisters constantly on my fingers for the first year. Then in improv class, we were playing Airegin, and I was playing pretty hard. I felt a squirt on my face, looked down, and one of my blisters popped and blood and pus went everywhere. I was able to get most of it off the bass, save a few spots on the bridge. And that was the school bass. :D

Nick

18. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    It happens on other instruments, too. Here's my hand after playing mandolin after a short benefit gig we did last year. The blood splatters are still on the label inside the soundhole.

[​IMG]

19. Had a 1956 D-28 just like that. When I sold it (to get more down payment on my house) the spots were still there. Didn't hurt the value none...