Blood on strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have any of you ever playd 'till your fingers bled? Mine started to a little today and before i noticed it, i had some blood on my strings. I washed it off ASAP but it left a little red stain that is slowly fading. This wont dull the strings sound at all will it?
  2. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    As a matter of fact, yes:

It will dull the strings, but not enough to worry about. :)

Rock on!
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How did you (if that is you) manage to bleed there? Slapping?
  4. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    That's a combination of:

1.) New Roto's
    2.) A good groove
    3.) Poor slapping technique.

5. you slap by...flicking the strings with your pointer finger or something??~?/ if you slap with your would you bleed...there??~??

- w00t
  6. wait..that is your thumb...LOL wow sorry..but did you bleed right THERE??~??

- w00t
  7. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I once cut myself from using too small of a pick that made me bleed all over the strings like that. But I was in a metal band at the time so it made me look cool :rolleyes: :) . I do remember it leaving a stain but I don't think the sound was affected too much, at least not enough to notice.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think Brian Adams did that back in the Summer of '69.
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

No actually I think it's his right index finger.
    possibily from flam'in or pop'in.

Fingers bleed from time to time.
    Just try not to pick your nose with that finger
  10. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Slapping with the thumb, but popping with my index finger as bottom5 indicated ;). It is the downward motion when I'm reaching for the D string that the top of my index finger was scraping on the G string. Like wise if I were reaching for the A string with my index finger to pluck it, the top of my index finger would scrap on the D string. :)
  11. I've never managed to get my fingers to bleed but this one time my buddy Kev rigged the G string off during a show just cuz he was getting into it and he must've gashed his finger open cuz the next thing I looked like someone was stabbed to death and thrown on his bass......heh..he's kept the stains on his bass cuz he claims that it gives it a meaner look.
  12. -on an ol' six string, too.
    must have been a Carl Thompson or Fodera.
    or a Fender Bass VI.
  13. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    My solution for avoiding nasty injuries to the top of my fingers (caused by aggressive pops) is to cover the area just above the fingernail with a layer of Johnson and Johnson bandage tape. You can buy rolls of it at any grocery store or pharmacy. Check out this photo to see the taped top of my fingers in action...

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

LMAO, pure genius!!!!!

15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I should try that...i used tot ape my whole finge,r top and bottom, on the tip, but it made my strings gooey (sp?)
  16. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Me too. Actually, I wasn't even using a pick, I mainly played with my fingers but there was one part of a song where I would just pick with my fingernail. I remember leaving the blood that was all over my bass there for the next show as like a badge of honor or something and then later came to my senses and cleaned it off...
  17. When I first started playing, I screwed up the joints in my middle, ring, and index fingers from playing too much. I couldn't move them for about a week. SO i learned to play with just my thumb. Slap/pop, even. I got pretty good at it, but when my fingers healed, it seems kinda pointless, and I haven't done it much since. I looks kinda funny. :D
  18. theres plenty of space to slap on a four excuse for bleeding.
  19. :bassist:i aint got time to bleed:bassist:
  20. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's how I get my fingers to bleed. After that I switched to a black pickguard because of the splatter :D And my fingerboard was a mess too :p