Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bloodwood Neck & Fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iualum, Jul 2, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Interested in using Bloodwood for a bass Neck & Fretboard. This stuff is striking.

What type of tone might I expect? Would it be similar to any other type of wood?

Are there any issues to be aware of with Bloodwood?

Might it be safer and/or better to do Purpleheart?

Thanks very much.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Good topic I have 1 bloodwood fingerboard and 2 purpleheart ones I am looking forward to using. I have no experience with them yet.........t

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Properties are similar (IME) to purpleheart. Dense, splintery in rough form. Takes a good finish. No reason not to try it if you don't mind a heavy neck.

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I've been talking to my luthier about a bloodwood fingerboard with headstock and neck veneer to match... for a fretless! His only consern seemed to be that the bloodwood might stain the maple he'll use for the neck... To avoid this, he plans to use a black veneer in between. He'd agreed with you on the tonal properties: very close to purpleheart.

take care
    PL

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Where can I get some "black veneer" I would like to use it in several projects........t

6. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I don't know where, I only know what my luthier uses : it's stained pear-tree. Hope it helps a bit...

PL

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks.

If I do this I would buy from Warmoth. When you say, "takes a good finish," do you mean that it looks good when finished (I guess gloss?) or that it requires a finish? I ask because Warmoth states that a finish isn't necessary. Even if a finish isn't needed, would you recommend one?

8. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    It deepens and takes a nice sheen when finished. I don't know why Warmoth would tell anyone that any wood does not need a finish. Technically, it's probably true. But oil finishes are easy to apply and maintain, they bring out the color and depth of the wood, and they offer additional protection against the elements; so why not do it?

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks ......t

10. Bloodwood is very toxic when being worked with(sawing, Cutting). Is this True?

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I had no problems working with the pieces I have used but I seem to have no wood allergies. Ask on the MIMF Forum......t

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    So, you would favor an oil finish over gloss?

13. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I have had no problems with Bloodwood staining the other woods when sanding and finishing, Padauk is the one you can have this problem with IMO.

I find Bloodwood to have a nice clear and bright tone coming from it's very dense and brittle properties.

I also have not had any problems with it being toxic to me
    but different woods can effect some people and not others.

14. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    It'd come down to a matter of feel and personal taste. Personally, I'd probably do oil for a neck.