Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bloodwood / Satine

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, Dec 13, 2004.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Anyone ever use bloodwood (or satine)? I'm a little intrigued by this wood. I like it's deep red color and the near-black figuring that I've seen in some finished pieces. However, I read that it's highly toxic when routing or cutting, and that makes me a little weary. I'm thinking about using it in a laminate neck -- maple/wenge/satine/wenge/maple. Also, does anyone know where I can get some? I checked Gallery, but they don't mention it anywhere. Anyone have a neck-suitable piece they'd like to sell?? :smug:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm currently using it on a fretless fingerboard. It's a very hardwood that sounds great for fretless and I image would be good for a neck laminate. I buy mine at WoodCraft. Gallery Harwoods probably has it though. Their website is pretty awful so you really need to call Larry.

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    there's a bunch of it on eBay right now. Good neck lenghts too. Think it's any good to use as a complete neck wood?? I've used it once building a display case for my dad's cool train engine that's worth a lot of $$ .........it's got a really cool aroma. I survived routing and cutting it. Use a mask. It also looks fantastic in the light with an oil finish. I used danish oil on it. I know Cliff Bordwell used it as a top on one of his basses........it's super heavy and dense, almost like cocobolo.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's very dense and has a perfumy smell that I think is nasty.

You can use it for neck stringers. It's about the same as purpleheart in terms of working properties, so a neck of solid bloodwood would be heavy, but doable.

I find that the stuff is pretty easy to find anywhere that they sell exotic woods. There's probably 3 or 4 places that stock it regularly within a couple hours of me. The stuff is pretty clear in general so it's probably safe to buy online, though. If Larry has some then grab his. Otherwise, search in woodfinder.com

5. Has anyone used it for a fretted fingerboard? I would like to hear what you think of the tone.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    The neck's make up would be something like 50% maple, 25% wenge, 25% bloodwood. I may use ebony instead of wenge, but I'm afraid that may make the tone too bright. I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere right now. Despite what my location reads, I'm away at college in northwest Alabama (hey, they offered a huge scholarship). Anywho, I'll check with Larry.

7. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    I just bought a nice board from Larry.
    Check this (the one on the left):
    [​IMG]

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Ahh! So he does have some... or he did... has before. Good!

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I doubt ebony would make the bass too bright, but it's ungodly expensive and the black stuff is getting harder and harder to find. If this is one of your first few basses, it's probably going to do you just as well to use wenge.

Myself, I always recommend wenge as an alternative when people ask for ebony as neck stringers. Something like swartzia if I have it will also do. When I tell them how much it will cost to get the ebony for neck stringers, only customers who really want it stick with it.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I,ve used it as a neck and fingerboard wood, but it's a b%tch to sand, and it's reaaaally heavy (supposedly sinks in water).
    I personnaly think it smells pretty good. I haven't had any problems with toxicity or anything, and it seems to sound pretty good (both as neck and fingerboard). I think it's warmer than ebony as a board, but brighter and more compressed than pau ferro.
    I've also dropped the neck with a bloodwood fingerboard on numerous occasions, and no frets have popped out so it seems to hold frets pretty well.

just my 2 cents (canadian, so that's like 1.6 cents american (hence really not worth much)) :meh:

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've got some bloodwood on the way. Looking forward to working with it.

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    What do you mean Matt, I love the smell of Bloodwood!!!! :p

Here is one of mine that has a bloodwood top.
    [​IMG]

13. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I guess I am the only one who wants to hurl when I mill bloodwood, then. You guys should try some imbuia.

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    N i c e .

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    It's not Brazilian, but I'm getting a claro walnut body blank (possibly one-piece) from Gallery.

16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I recently built a guitar and a bass with bloodwood tops, and am very happy with them. It is beautiful wood and I had no problems with the toxicity. It smells good to me. I had a heck of a time getting the red dust out of the sweatshirt I was wearing while sanding, though...

17. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Here is one of mine that has a bloodwood top.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

+2

Love the way that looks in the light. What are the other woods on the body?

18. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Thanks, that is a Mahogany body with the Bloodwood top, the fingerboard is Ebony with maple lines.

19. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Sharp work Cliff. I live in Deland. I just noticed you wee in Orlando. Small world.........t

20. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    You should come by the next time you come to Orlando,
    I know you have to come down to check out Bass Central!