Bloody fingers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Only, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I work at Wal*mart, in the frozen foods section. I naturally have kinda dry skin. This winter, the dry air has been terrible. No matter how much lotion I put on my hands, my fingertips keep drying out to the point of cracking. Playing bass with cracked open fingertips leads to an incredible amout of pain, plus loss of blood.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep my fingers from falling apart in dry winter weather?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    The most obvious solution is - go and see a dermatologist. Failing that, you could try a search on the net. One trick that my wife does before going to sleep is to put lots of hand cream on then put on surgical gloves so that skin can absorb all the hand cream. Re. the creams, you need to find the right one for your skin type, preferably one which is not too oily.

If you can wear gloves while working would be great too.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Also drink more water, it might help somewhat. If you are in cool enviroment a lot you don't feel thirst so easily.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Try Corn Husker's lotion, or Neutrogena hand creme, the Norwegian Fisherman's formula. Both work very well for extreme cases of overdry skin, and the Neutrogena was specifically designed for fishermen in the Arctic circle.
  5. If all else fails, they now make Liquid Band-Aid, which works great on cracks in the skin. I have the same problem with my hands in the winter, and lotions really don't help me much. I just have to deal until the weather warms up.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What you are going through is pretty normal (blisters and such) when you start to play for the first year or so depending on amount of practice. Most all bassplayers have shed there fingertips in the begining but it does stop and the tips do soften and go back to normal.If you have been playing for a short time this is your problem :) what ever you do KEEP PLAYING :cool:
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I dont think the problem is that he is new to bass.. Its the severe drying of his hands that are cracking ang bleeding.. besides, not even a just starting out bass player should play to the point where they are in pain and bloody
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Um, this might sound a little strange and you might laugh but it works. Go to a farm supply store and get some Bag Balm. It's what farmers use on the cows' utters to keep them from drying out in the winter. Now I know what you're thinking but maybe some farm folks out there can verify. O.K you can stop laughing now...really.
  9. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Try flatwounds on your bass if you haven't already. I have a dermatological condition known as psoriasis that gives me flacky patches of skin and causes my figertips to crack like yours, especially in cold and/or dry weather. Try the ointments and/or creams as suggested but also try the flats, they are a lot eaiser on your fingers.
  10. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Many thanks everyone, especially Embellisher. Your stuff works, man!

I actually have two of my basses strung with halfround strings, and I prefer those, but the generic nu-metal band I'm in at the moment insists on my using roundwounds.
  11. they shouldnt? what kind of a bassist are you if you say you should stop playing from a few little cuts and such?:p
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ignore them.

Ive been thinking about using flats or halfwounds on a jazz bass in my band which is close enough to Nu-Metal. It just takes proper EQing to get the right sound.

What I do is slightly overdrive the preamp, and then (slightly) boost the bass, and the mids (just barely more than the bass) at around 1K and 2K Hz, and the trebble just a bit (less or more than the others depending on the final sound and your bass). With that kind of settings even the deadest flats would cut through with a powerful force through the thickest Nu-metal sounds.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No problem. Glad to help.:) Which did you try?
  14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Corn husker's lotion.

I was thinking, "Man, I've never heard of this stuff, maybe I can find it in some weird store somewhere." then, walking into Wal*Mart to pick up some contact lens solution, I almost ran into a 6 foot high display of Corn Husker's Lotion. And now all is good. :)