Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bloody hell... Amp Decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by comfortstarr, Oct 3, 2003.

1. I was just about (today/tomorrow) to pull the trigger on a Mesa Walkabout Scout for $999.

Then stupid me, looks on the web and finds the following (both in-store displays):

Time Traveller WT-330 for $599

CXZ Time Traveller 1 X 12 Combo $779

Now, of course, I'm wondering: "Should I buy the WT-330 and just get an aggie 112? Is the CXZ combo any good? etc."

It actually got worse because musicians friend is selling older GK 700RB's for $399.

I've played the walkabout scout and I thought it was really great. I've played GKs for ever and have always liked them (but I was looking to get more "tubey," my sense of tone has matured a little. I've never played through the Edens. The WT-330 looks very similar to the Walkabout in terms of power and features. The GK is a different beast, but again, similar power.

My midwestern-bred, Value-itis is acting up.

Any thoughts?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Wow thats a tough one. I dont have any experience with any of that equipment but I can sympathize with pondering over what to buy. I decided to go with the most flexible small amp I could put together, poweramp/preamp/separate cab. I got a Mackie 1400 for pretty cheap and a Raven Labs PMB for a preamp. This setup sounds great and Im running through a Berg 210. WOW! Sweet tone and the flexibility to expand in a lot of different ways. I think coombos are very limited but if it will work for you then dont listen to me! :eek: :D Good luck...

3. In general, I agree about combos. The Mesa Scout thing is a little bit of a hybrid though: the head can be removed.

The Mesa thing would be fine for me for a while, then I could always add another 12" cab if I wanted.

I think, the Eden combo is probably not in the running. My question basically needs to come down to the Mesa head vs. the Eden WT-330 head. is the Mesa $200 better? (I know, silly question).

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if I were you I'd strongly consider the 330 and the aguilar 112 (rated at 300w) eden 112 is only 200w. and you'll have a modular setup if you decide you don't like one or the other you can trade off and upgrade. with the combo if you don't like it you have to chuck the whole thing!

Eden + Aguilar = cost of walkabout.

5. Though i love Eden.... I personally would recommend the MESA.

The ability to remove the head is a big advantage. If you ever wanted more sound, you could add a 12 or 2x10. Or... with 300W, i personally think you could drive a 4x10, even though the majority would say "no less than 600W into a 4x10" I find my mesa has a pretty good output, and does just fine with a 4x10.

If you were leaning towards eden, i would highly recommend an Eden Metro. I was real impressed with it, however... it still doesn't have the same changeability that the mesa does.

Also.. i found the Eden to be pretty hi-fi. I had the bass knob cranked, as well at the 20Hz, and it still wasn't bassy enough for me. However.. i'm a low-end FREAK! so don't let that change your opinion.

If you want a hi-fi combo.. go with the Eden.
    If you want a low-end monster, that you can build onto in the future.. get the mesa

Just my thoughts.

~Zentner

6. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Eden + Aguilar = NOWHERE NEAR THE INCREDIBLE TONE OF THE WALKABOUT!!!

Dead serious. I just sold my Eden. I am getting the Walkabout. Playing my basses thru it was a revelation. I could get Ampeg Portabass head and cab for less too at the GC blowout ($1698 list, $750 actual) but why???

Sorry, gotta run, a WalkAbout is calling my name...

Tom H.
    ;)

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    only one peice of advice
    at all costs try not to buy a combo
    better to be able to upgrade later than to be stuck
    but if you've read enough of my posts you know i'm quite biased when it comes to that
    when it comes to guitar players i think they should buy low wattage combos with no chance for upgrades - keeps em quiet;)

8. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    slombovia Wrote....
    I could get Ampeg Portabass head and cab for less too at the GC blowout ($1698 list, $750 actual) but why???

Because AMPEG ROCK's...IMO.....hehe
    I agree w/ the other's also, stay away from the combo's.:rolleyes:

SVT W/410 cab. is small enough to haul and Tone....well, u know.... Just my 2 cent's worth

Jeff
    ---------