Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Bloom" on D string of fretted bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 4, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just curious here...what causes the "blooming" sound that is normally associated with fretless bass? I'm thinking that it has something to do with the string vibrating against the fingerboard directly in front of where you press it down but I may be wrong.

The reason I'm asking is that on my fretted Fodera NYC Empire 4 my D string tends to have a sort of "bloom" to it that gets more prevalent as you play up higher on the neck. It is most noticable at the 21st (and highest) fret. What causes that? Anyone? I love that sound and wish that all my strings did it. I guess it wouldn't sound too good or versatile if I played every song on the D string.

brad cook

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eh? Nobody knows? Maybe I should take this over to one of the luthiers forums...

brad cook

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The D string is probably activating a resonant frequency in the neck and/or body. Or it might be a setup/string height issue. Higher action = louder. More relief = higher action.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Funny you should mention. I noticed this on my Modulus Quantum just last week, on the D string in fact. It pretty much occurred all up and down the string. Seemed to me like it was fret buzz from the 24th fret, so I raised the action of that string just a smidge and it went away.

FYI, fretless players (an onomatopoetic bunch if there ever was one) refer to that "bloom" as "mwah". :)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah but I don't think that couldn't apply here because as I noted it happens on the highest fret, that doesn't leave any frets for it to buzz against.

Thanks for the info but I do know what "mwah" is. :p the bloom just really didn't seem enough to qualify as mwah. :)

brad cook

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, you did mention that... :p

Anyway: see if the bridge saddle is properly secured, and that the string has a nice break angle over it. If the bridge is in order, try replacing the string... bad strings happen.

7. I noticed the same thing on my A string. I like it, if it was uniform, but its not. Oh well.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is that string closer to the pickups than the others?

Has it happened with multiple sets of strings? Different types?