Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blow my mind

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thump326, Aug 15, 2005.

1. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    My painting job ends before school starts, so ill be bored, and tv sucks.

anyone got some good reads, interesting articles, something cool to think about? ...science, philosophy, religion, perception, inner workings of the mind, space, anything to kickstart my brain from dormancy (ah summer)

A book of big questions that cant be answered would be cool

thanks

2. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    something controversal or taboo would be cool too

3. Surf en.wikipedia.com

There is a wealth of 'blow-your-mind' stuff there if you search for philosophy or history related things. Look up bassists too.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    www.rotten.com/library

Yes, it's Rotten, but the library is almost a seperate entity, containing everthing from articles on our inability to digest corn to the Knights Templar to quantum Physics to biographies on Timothy Leary to several Popes, to animal homosexuality and the historical construction and editing of the Bible to different aspects of shamanism, demonology, golems, to Esperanto to racist propganda.

Sort of an of off-the-cuff style, but filled with good information, and usually good pictures (that can be a little frank, but almost always germane).

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Read a Thinking For Dummies book. Or a Frank Herbert book.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    there's a book called "Freakonomics" that i've been meaning to get a copy of. it's supposed to raise up some wild questions.

-jimbo

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Pick up another hobby perhaps?

8. +1
    Also check out the Hitchhikers Guide series by Douglas Adams. Great books...The movie did the series no justice....

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Peanut is neither a pea, nor a nut.

10. Ok - go to the basses thread, and read EVERY single post about Sadowsky.

11. yes, the best part is where they debunk their own explanation of why it's important to look at what might as well be a bunch of snuff films.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Go to the library and read on microfilm the newspappers from the day you were born.

13. There is no spoon.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    another vote for Freakanomics...heard him speaking on the BBC the other night at 3am when on that long ride back from my Saturday show...he's goooood.

How about something with some substance:

Ray Kurzweil's "The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed human Intelligence"

Richard Rhodes' Making of the Atomic Bomb and Black Sun are both exciting and riveting books about quantum physics and blowing stuff up.

For some fiction, check out "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielowski. Scarier and more intelligent and twisted than any Stephen King book.

Or maybe, one of my favorites, "Cryptonomicon" by Neil Stephenson, everything from high-tech craziness to WWII adventure and treasure hunting.

Short and light? Check out Gideon Defoe's "The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists" One @$#%^ed up funny story that's written firmly tongue-in-cheek with a dry Pythonesque tone.