Blow out sale!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by martyman5000, Feb 13, 2009.

1. today I went to my local store and as soon as I saw this bass and the price I grabbed it...came with a case too for $99 :eek: Its a Ibanez Roadstar 999 bean bass...active. I might defret?

DSC01297.gif

2. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You can't go wrong for $100 Nice score.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Great score! I say defret and go to town on it as a fretless. Is that an ebony board or rosewood...can't tell.

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    cool. that's a funny shaped bass. what are the pickups? is it a soapbar p/j?

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Those old Ibanez Roadstar models are great basses, and you got a heck of a deal!

Mike

6. Ridiculous deal! A trashed and stripped one sold for $250 on eBay a while back.

I tend to be one for leaving rare stuff stock with the exceptional of easily reversible mods (like pickups), so I can observe them in their natural state, as if they were still in the wild.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I wouldn't de-fret it - the action would be too high. wanna sell it?

8. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Nice deal - things will only continue to get better.

9. Surely it's adjustable..?
    FWIW I wouldn't defret either, but not for this 'reason'.

10. If there's nothing wrong with it, that's a ridiculous price.
    Sting played a fretless Bean for a while, and it sounded great.

11. WTH, nice score dude.:smug:

12. very cool indeed!

13. Thanks I've been playing with it now for an hour and its very nice...not hard on my shoulders at all...and yes I could adjust the action if I defretted it. Nice Rosewood fretboard, little wear on the frets and a pair of single soap bars...

14. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    do not defret that bass...if you defret it I will hunt you down and do things to you that are not mentionable on Talkbass.

other than that..good score, i would have grabbed it as well.

15. That would be a musician, not a roadster. Their top of the line model back in the day. Sweet basses. Mine had an ebony board, not rosewood.

lowsound

16. Says Roadstar II on the top of the neck...there was an older version...888?

p20.jpg

17. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Congratulations, I am hating on you. OK, I'm done. Conrats.

I've been looking for one of these for a LONG time. I'll give you double for it.

18. I see them on EBAY once in a while...I would trade it for a Squire modified 50's bass :)

19. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Good score. My Bean Bass in the 80's cost me $850 (IIRC) new. The ergonomics of that bass were great. Played A LOT of gigs with that bass and got a lot of compliments on both the sound and the look. My band-mates called it the (black) 'Shark Fin'.

20. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    These are cool basses, congrats!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021