Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blowin' Tweeters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzV, Apr 8, 2001.

1. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I have an SWR WM 4x10T powered by a WM 4004 head. On a couple of occasions, I've gotten a nasty crackling noise while playing from the LeSon piezo tweeter. Both times I stopped playing, checked gains, the tweeter switch on the back of the cab, volume levels, etc., and then it was fine. I'm pretty certain that in both cases, my clipping LED did not light. I only had the master to 3 and the gain about halfway. If I crank it, I can make the clipping LED light, so I'm sure I don't have a dead indicator. One of these times was with a friends Rickenbacker. The other was with my Fender Jazz Deluxe V. It isn't the bass. My current thinking is that it might be the bass cable (which I've had for about a year and a half now.)

The cab was new when I bought it, so if there is any damage, it had to be in the showroom. Any ideas?

2. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    The tweeters on the workingman's series are really bad, you're better off just not using it at all.

3. yea i never use the tweeter in my WKM 15
    just never sounded right.
    great amp otherwise

4. I have never liked tweeters, plus they are very easy to blow. I have the one on my Carvin 4x10 turned off constantly, for two reasons. 1. It sounded like ass. and 2. I blew it up.

My suggestion as the others said is to just turn it off and not worry about it.

5. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Well, it is really weird. I played my 4x10 in church today with the tweeter turned on. No crackling. I like to use it mainly since our church is really kind of lousy from an acoustics standpoint, and I need a little help on the high end for those silky tones on the G string. They tend to get lost in our building.

My problem is that I'm not positive the tweeter is the culprit. If it did this all the time, I'd know for sure - but it doesn't. I've never really had to turn the thing up that loud...I usually play on 3 with the gain about halfway. We've got a few older folks who don't want it too loud...hearing aids, you know. When it happens, it happens for every note until I make an adjustment to volume, gain, tweeter switch on and off, or something else. I have to turn to do this, so that's why I'm wondering about the cable.

If I had known that tweeter problems were common with the Workingman's line, I probably would have saved a few more shekels and bought a little bit higher quality. It's just a little hard to justify for a 37 year old church bassist who's only been playing for seventeen months.

Thanks for the help.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A dirty or loose output jack on your bass could give you this sound.

7. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I have an SWR Silverado and a Triad, both with tweeters, and I had a crackle that I thought might be the horn. The one time, it turned out to be a string! Believe it or not, the winding had come loose from the core on an E string, and there was pronouced distortion. The second time, it turned out to be a battery in my outboard preamp. So if it's intermittent, I would think that it's something else--battery (in an effect or in an active bass), cable, even string.

8. Piezo tweeters are cheap, plastic, annoying sounding, squeeky little funnels. And you can't get them to burn out! Cause you know what? There's no coil in it, just a crystal!

Oh, 'm sorry, was I thinking out loud? :D:D

What I mean is they sound bad, but are virtually indestructible.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And there's usually a fuse somewhere on the crossover thing too, at least in my SWR Triad.

10. I also have an SWR Triad Cabinet and it sounds great as long as I turn off that Foster horn. It sounds like nasal garbage to me

Peace

Steve

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    There are tweeters and there are tweeters. The one in my Acme B2 sounds very good.Of course,the Acme is a 3-way system,so this has something to do with it I'm sure,because the 5" midrange is doing some of the work normally handled by the tweeter in a 2-way system.

12. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Crank your amp a bit and see what happens. I doubt it's tweeter like joris said, they're hard to hurt. My guess is a bad connection, or dead a batt. I'd have to hear the noise to pin-point the problem though. I love my Carvin RC210's tweeter. It does get a little clunky sounding when you drive it real hard, but then I just it the 3 position. It chirps really nicely though.