1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blowing fuses.....URGENT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flea claypool, Dec 6, 2006.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i just blew a fuse in a hartke head.. its the 220 fuse the clear glass one.. then i got home and replaced the fuse with my own amps fuse and that blew too........... anyone know whats gone wrong

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    BUMP.... PLEASE HELP AS AMP IS NOT MINE AND EVEN THOU poopieE HARTKE ARENT CHEAP OVER HERE

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    most of the time when a fuse repeatedly blowns like that there is something wrong with the amp that needs to be checked out by a tech.

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    and in theory what could be wrong with the amp?? we dont really have techs over here

5. Shorted power transistor, faulty power supply, or some other problem that's causing the amp to draw too much line current. Could be any number of things.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This is something that could probably be handled by a general purpose electronics or TV service shop. If the problem is in the power supply, which seems likely, it is rarely difficult to isolate the cause.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm sure even in Ireland there are guys with enough equipment-repair experience to work on it. Call around shops that repair stereos, TV's, etc.

I had an item that blew fuses like that, and I was able to fix it, but it was not easy and not without serious risk.

8. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    This probably isn't the issue, but you can't just replace a given fuse with any other one; the amperage rating and fast or slow burn can make a big difference.

9. I had a similar problem with my amp that's off getting fixed right now, it was the transformer.

10. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Good point. Make sure the fuse is the correct size and type, not just anything that will fit in the fuseholder. If the amp was working fine when you got it and now it isn't, then chances are it had the correct fuse and probably the original one. Fuses are there for a reason, to protect the electronics of the amp. If you put in the wrong fuse you lose the protection and could do serious damage. I agree about taking it to a decent stereo/TV shop, they should be able to help.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The fuse blows to protect the amp from being damaged further. They can blow at random, but if you replace it and it blows again there is a fault that must be repaired by a qualified technician. It's not a DIY option, unless you are a qualified technician.

12. jshellac

jshellac

Dec 10, 2006
    'd go with transformer!

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Transformers almost never fail in SS stuff - they are a passive component. I would bet on pretty much anything else first, but my vote is the power supply rectifiers - they take a heavy sure on powerup, and if there is a weak one, this is what happens . . . . . the good news is that the parts are cheap and easy to replace . . . .

- Tim