1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blowing speakers like it's my job...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watchitmike, Jun 28, 2012.

1. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    3 in the last 9 months. 5 total. 4 times on tour. Always a different speaker. The 10"/32ohm replacements are impossible to find offline. Here's the setup:

Fender Standard Jazz Bass (Stock pickups)
    into
    Sunn 1200s (1200 watt solid state/tube blend)
    into
    Ampeg SVT810 (32 ohm speakers wired in series for 4 ohms)

No pedals or effects. Sounds amazing 99% of the time. Is my head just a speaker assassin? Could it be something wrong with my cab?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What does your EQ look like?

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Are you slapping? Standard tuning?

4. sounds like he might be a doom guy with that set up

5. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Are you sure the cabinet is wired correctly?
    Those speakers can't be wired in series, they have to be wired in parallel (which is what you probably meant to say..)

Also, are these the correct speakers for the cabinet?

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Which version of the 810 are you using? If it's an old 810, like 70s to 80s vintage, they're not designed to handle that kind of power.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    smiley-face EQ curve?

competing with 4x12 guitar stacks set to "stupid"?

polarity issues? (take a 9V battery to the end of a 1/4" cable plugged into the cab; touching the + to the tip and - to the sleeve should make all 8 speakers jump out, towards you.)

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Eh?

RMS Power Handling: 2 x 400-Watts (Stereo)
    RMS Power Handling: 800-Watts (Mono)

Or something like that for thermal rating. Are you burning voice coils or are you experiencing mechanical failure? Because with 1200w at your command you could do either...but more likely to be mechanical failure since the excursion limit on those speakers doesn't give you that much headroom.

9. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Don't matter. If he's pushing lots of lows or if he's pushing a mere 800w and if it only has something like 500w of excursion limited power handling. Voice coil's only one way to skin a cat.

11. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Most likely, no way to tell until the OP states how the drivers are failing.

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    could it be a lack of low-end filtering thing? too much 30 and 25Hz thumping?

how hard would it be to whip up some kind of passive 40Hz filter and slap it in the series effects loop of the amp?

13. Compressor requirement to reduce speaker excursion?

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh what is that word that means doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results..... Its on the tip of my tongue....I just can't remember...

15. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    It's a little complicated. Pretty generous lows and highs with a bit more mids than your standard smiley face eq. I also slam it pretty hard with the on board compressor.

Standard tuning. No slapping. Just picking.

Haha not me. Just sweaty drunken pop-punk.

This might be a good lead... What I've been told all along is that the speakers in the SVT 810 are all 32 ohms and together they make 4 ohms. Every time I've replaced a speaker I've made sure it was 32 ohms.

I guess I was wrong saying it was wired in series. The cab is pretty much wired like a snake. Jack=>Speaker 1=>Speaker 2 etc.

It actually is a little bit older but I don't know exactly. The plate only has 1 jack. I'm not sure when they started manufacturing them with the multiple input and speakon jacks.

Competing with a 4x12, a 2x12 and a drummer... all of them set to stupid. You should see how they break guitar strings, drum heads and cymbals. I'm probably the least destructive of the bunch.

16. I hate to say it but you need more cab... Sounds like you are just pushing that cab past its limits.

17. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    Ah yeah I should have specified... I'm not blowing the coils. The speakers are just splitting around the edges. Sometimes it's a very clean separation.

18. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    This probably couldn't hurt. Cuts the <30Hz to near-zero. You don't hear that range, as far as I know.

Video is pretty convincing.

[sfx] micro-Thumpinator

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Mechanical failure means that you're either too loud or you're too low. Or both. you should be getting distortion out of the speakers before you start ripping them, but if you're using an over driven or distorted tone, it masks your speakers' distress.

20. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    perfect! that's exactly what i was imagining; put that between the preamp out and power amp in on the amp and you'll save your speakers, and probably sound louder out front in the bargain.

barring new toys, try removing the compression entirely and easing off the lows, especially the bottom fader of the graphic. it'll seem thinner and barkier by itself, but will show up in the mix better at "stupid" volume.

heavy compression can actually cook speakers instead of saving them; the sound spends more time squashed "up against the volume ceiling", instead of being loud when you hit and not loud when you don't. this means the speaker spends more time at max output, with no time to cool off between hits.

although, if you're getting busted paper rather than just cooked coils, that more likely means too much useless sub-lows, so it's more an EQ problem rather than a compression/overheating problem.