1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blowing tube preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So i have my "blue tube" rack preamp hooked up with a cheap amp i pulled from a Crate combo with a blown speaker. I was playing with the volume low on the amp, but high on the preamp to the point of a pleasant distortion. After a while, when i dug in, i got a bad distortion (i imagine it was clipping). This happened a couple times, and then my sound cut out. The amp worked, but the preamp did not. The lights were on, but even when i muted the preamp, i didnt get any sound. I tried using it 30 minutes later and it worked. Any clues on what happened?

2. overheating?

3. It seems your pushing the preamp too hard, try turning the gain down on the pre and turning the volume up one the crate. You should still be able to get your distortion without pushing it as hard.

I could be wrong though.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You can push a preamp hard all day long and not damage it. I would suspect that there was something wrong with it already, like a weak solder joint, an old capacitor, or any of a number of other components that might be out of spec or prone to failure under normal use. I doubt it had anything to do with the settings, amount of drive, or connections used.