Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blown 15" in my hartke 1415

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 27, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    my speaker is pretty nastily blown.
    i'm going to be selling this amp in the next couple of months,
    so if i put in a new hartke 15" am i going to be able to get my money out of it?
    would there be a better speaker to go with (money/dollars), or should i put in another orig?
    what does one of those aluminum subs cost anyway, and how to you get them?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Is it still under warranty? That's your best bet if so. I would think you'd be able to get *most* of your money back, more so than if you left it in there. I can't say about the better speaker, you'll have to wait for a pro for that one ;).

P.S. how'd you blow it? I've not blown a speaker yet

Ray

3. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    this is a second hand amp, i bought from a friend of mine a few years ago. i don't know how it blew, as it was fine when i bought it. but it has gotten worse and worse over time, and today it didn't even show up to play.

anyway, no it isn't under warrenty.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The biggest problem with owning a Hartke cab is that if you blow a speaker (and speakers get blown from nearly EVERY manufacturer), you can't promptly and efficiently obtain a replacement from them. Hartke requires that you send your existing driver back to them before they'll send you a replacement AS WELL as the cost of the replacement.

When I blew an Aguilar speaker two years ago (my own fault, it happens), Aguilar had me a replacement in two days flat, all it took was a phone call and a credit card. Hartke can't - and won't - do that.

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so should i just go with another speaker company?
    what about eminence? or carvin?

6. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    IMO, you'll be better off with a different speaker in there, but the problem is in finding one with compatible t/s parameters, and retuning the port. I'd suggest just selling the cab and finding something else.

BTW: Carvin speakers are not made by Carvin. Like most manufacturers, they contract them to be made by a larger outfit, and just plop a Carvin sticker on them and sell them for more money. I know that Carvin at least USED to get its speakers made by Eminence, probably still for at least some of its speaker models.

7. You might try this site: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    They sell individual speakers as well, so you might be able to work yourself a good deal this way. My guess is that you fried the Voicecoil, especially since you said that over time it started getting less and less volume.

8. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah i think it is the voicecoil as well.
    what would i be able to get for this combo with a blown speaker if i ebay it?

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    If the cone is ok, why not re-coil it? Any speaker repair shop can do that for not more than 50$.

ANDRUCA

10. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    1. Can't do that without reconing it in the process.

2. You CANNOT get a recone kit for a Hartke speaker.

11. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    Same problem for me. The 15" in my 1415 makes some "buzzing" noise when I play. I was thinking to have the internal 15"/4ohms replaced by a 15"/8 ohms so I could add another speaker... :crying: Please, Mr Hartke, why won't you sell your speakers like every other manufacturer does... :rollno:

12. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    well i just emailed hartke to find out what it is going to cost, and what is involved in getting a replacement.
    i'll post their reponse.

13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Who told you that? I don't know how (or if they had to make some cut & paste with mine) but I had one re-coiled in a repair shop when I lived in Buenos Aires and it sounded as good as new when it came back! No Hartke shipping involved in this and it took 2 days at the shop!

ANDRUCA

14. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Do you know ANYTHING about speaker repair, or just what you were told? You undoubtedly had a recone (the voicecoil is replaced during the process). You cannot "cut and paste" the cone back together and just replace the voicecoil, it has to be a complete recone.

There are plenty of websites that explain the process through pictures.

15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I don't know about it, but I can tell what I see. All I know is I have the same alluminium cone I had (can't certify that for the central paper cap or the border moving part that joins the cone to the basket). I simply know it's the same because it had the same marks and dirt it had when I got it back, so I'm sure it was mine (just talking about the alluminium part of it, 'cause the central paper cap -don't know how it's called in english, sorry- looked like newly glued). Maybe they did some Frankenstein stuff with my 10" Hartke speaker.

ANDRUCA

16. You can't just stick any speaker in there as a subsitute becasue of the theil small parameters. It is a ported cab. If you stick an EV or Eminance speaker, you may be able to calculate the port length and "tune" the cab to the speaker.

You can recoil it with new kapton former.

Don't need to recone it. If you do, use Reynold's Wrap.

17. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nah, what they likely did was just reseat or replace the center dust cover. Hartke aluminum speakers are NOTORIOUS for having the dust cover become slightly detached, making buzzing a "blown" speaker sound, when in reality all it needs is a new dustcover/glue. I've done it myself on several.

18. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The speaker in my Kickback 12 makes that sound, but it seems to be because of a rather large crack in the cone running along the outer edge of the speaker. I wonder if it had anything to do with the Wisconsin weather conditions it has been subjected to. :smug:

I e-mailed Hartke a while back about getting it replaced, and they said it would cost me $150 plus shipping. That seems like quite a bit for a speaker that isn't all that great. :meh: Considering that I really have no use for my Kickback anymore, and I would only be buying the replacement speaker in order to be able to sell the amp, I'm not sure if it's even worth the trouble.

19. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    $150 for a new one without shipping?
    i'd rather throw the amp away then pay that.
    looks like i'll just ebay it with the blown speaker.

20. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    . . . and now you understand why many here simply cannot recommend Hartke cabs . . . :crying: