Blown Aggie Tweeter??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheCreature, Nov 24, 2003.

1. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I recently subjected my GS112 to an intense 2 second blast of feedback. Once my head cleared and my hearing recovered, the tweeter seemed "weak". There are still some hi freqencies (and hiss) coming from the tweeter, but at a much lower volume than before. I removed the tweeter, disconnected it and read 2.7 ohms across the terminals. Does this sound reasonable? If the tweeter was smoked I would expect to read open. Also, I visually checked the crossover and there were no burn marks.

What do ya think happened? Suggestions?

2. That happened to me when I got my first aggie. I replaced the tweeter and my attenuator knob no longer works. The tweeter's now always full on. A bit annoying sometimes.
    Also, I hate to jump your thread, but on a similar note, one of my GS112s has recently developed a problem. I don't see any cracks, rips, or creases on the cone, but it almost sounds like it's blown. I've tried it with 2 different bass heads and it does it for both. Although for a while it stopped doing it, then started again. I'm thinking loose wire or attenuator circuit again. Any thoughts?
  3. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I own a pair of GS-112s and they are phenomenal.

Your atenuator is on full? It could be fused. As for your blown sounding speakers, there could be a concentric crease beneath the woofer's dustcap. If you take the driver out of the cabinet, you can easily spot the buckling at the throat of the cone. This could result in a misalignment of the voice coil in the magnetic gap. The rubbing coil could be causing that strange chirp. -or- The glue used to hold the coil wire to the former, or cup, has let the wire loose, as it has heated, distorted and started rubbing.

If you re-orient the driver in the box, if it is rubbing, it could stop. This is usually possible in larger drivers with looser suspension and heavier cones. Regarding speakers of this type, tolerances are extremely tight, so the slightest lateral movement might make a difference.

These cabs seem very responsive, so treat them like a fast, but small car. Stand back a few feet so you know how hard they really do work. Lots of really low bass- focused and organic in my opinion.
  4. So I've just taken my crackling driver out of my GS112, and I can't see any apparent damage what so ever. I've looked it all over. I'm guessing that it has to do with the wires going to the center of the cone, ie, rubbing or loose. Is this fixable? Not too psyched on the prospect of paying $120 plus shipping for a new driver...