Blown amp channel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeezyMcNuggles, Mar 17, 2018.


Tags:
  1. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Okay, has anyone ever fixed an amp with a blown channel? Just wondering if there's anything that can be done.
     
  2. BadExample

    BadExample

    Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Add many details.
     
    Old Garage-Bander and Giffro like this.
  3. Take it to an Authorized repair shop or back to the Manufacturer, give them the money they ask for and they can do it, no problem. :thumbsup:

    Unless you try something you are not sure of what to do, then it can make a big problem and cost a lot more money. :crying:
     
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    agedhorse and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  4. The answers to your questions are Yes, and Yes.
     
  5. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    I have.
     
    ahc and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  6. Me too. Not just a channel either but the whole danged thing!
    It needed a new diode. 'Cause it's ALWAYS a diode.
    Diodes are the new capacitors.
     
  7. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    Nice one OGB! :D
     
    Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  8. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    OP it would help if we knew what you are talking about. What amplifier?
     
  9. DigitalMan

    DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

    Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Many people have. 99% of those who have are authorized service technicians. Sorry if this sounds rude, but by asking the question I don’t think you fall into the other 1%.
     
  10. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    And furthermore why don’t members fill out their profiles fully? It’s so helpful when trying to compose a suitable reply if we know where the person lives and how old they are. :(
     
  11. Yes.
    It can be done.
    No, I don't think you will be doing it yourself.
    If ya gotta ask...
     
    Mvilmany likes this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Alright, so it can be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. That was my question. If I should just throw it away, or take it to guitar center or something. But, it's a BTX3600...The Nuke. The low (B) channel still works, but I blew the A channel a good while ago. I still use it with a low pass filter through the one channel to run a sub, but I was just wondering if it's be worth trying to fix the other one or not. So, the channel that doesn't work anymore makes a noise like howling wind when I'm plugged into it. That's it, no sound, just wind.
     
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    But, I have a few other amplifiers. It's not like this is, or was, my bread and butter in any way. It doesn't "need" to be fixed. I'm just simply wondering.
     
  14. ahc

    ahc

    Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    You need to determine what the amp is worth both in $$$ and also as an amp you would use, vs. the cost to fix it. Then act accordingly.
     
  15. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    When I get home, I'm at work and won't be home til Wednesday, I'll pop the case open and take a bunch of pictures. If it's obvious to ya'll what's causing it, maybe you guys can point it out to me.

    I'm a painter, not an electrician. But, I know how to use a solder gun, if I know what's broken.
     
  16. Chances are pretty good that if it's obvious to us in a photo, it could be obvious to you in real life.
     
  17. agedhorse

    agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Using a soldering gun is a good way to finish the amp off for good. You don't paint cars with a brush and roller, right?
     
  18. image.jpeg image.jpg
     
    S-Bigbottom, agedhorse and Jewce like this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
  20. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Then how do you connect new components to the board if something is fried and needs to be replaced?
     
  21. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

     
    May 22, 2022

Share This Page