1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kickinbass, Dec 21, 2006.

1. kickinbass

kickinbass

Nov 19, 2004
    ontario canada
    Hey everyone. I just re-wired my Peavey 210TX 4 ohm cab is series to 16ohms. I'm running it with a Yorkville 115B 8ohm cab and a behringer BX3000T head. If my amp or cabs were going to blow how soon would they? I've ran the 210TX into the 115B then into one of the outputs on the BX3000T. now the amp is rated at 8phms max and 4 ohms min. Technically i'm running at 5.33ohms and should be safe. But I'm a little courious as to how long it would take if something was going to blow up. thanks

2. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    What makes you think anything will blow up?

With the arrangement you describe, your amp should be perfectly happy. No reason for it to crap out at all (well, apart from the fact that it's a certain well-known German brand, but we'll let that pass...) :rolleyes:

However, your two cabs are a real mis-match, impedance-wise. The 8 Ohm Yorkville cab will draw twice as much current as the 16 Ohm Peavey, which means it will have to deal with twice as much power as the Peavey.

How does this all pan out? Well, your Behringer head is rated at 300 Watts into 4 Ohms. Into 5.33 Ohms, like all solid state amplifiers, it will give out a bit less than that. At a rough guess, let's say around 225 Watts.

Therefore, if you were running the amp flat out (i.e. getting the full 225 Watts from it), the 8 Ohm Yorkville cab will have a maximum of 150 Watts to cope with, and the 16 Ohm Peavey will have 75 Watts. Assuming that each cab is capable of handling these respective wattages, neither cab will "blow".

HOWEVER... you'll find that your Peavey cab sounds very quiet in comparison with the Yorkville (unless the Peavey cab is a great deal more sensitive/efficient than the Yorkville, which is unlikely).

So, to sum up: you'll be perfectly safe; nothing should blow; but your rig will be rather unbalanced, power-wise. If you want to get the best performance from your ig, you should really sell the Peavey 2x10 and replace it with a 2x10 8 Ohm cab. Then your rig will be balanced and your amp will deliver its full 300 Watts.