1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown Away and Ready to SELL IT ALL...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turbo Sparky, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    TB:
    I think I'm not alone, but I cannot speak for others. I have been playing seriously for about 5 years, and over the course of time, mostly through trial and error and a fair amount of cash, arrived at the tone, punch, level of clarity and comfort in "my sound."
    When I first began to take it seriously, I would immerse myself in the latest "thing" that through marketing psychology convinced me that "this IS me" etc. "THIS is what I want!" "THIS is better than that and this is what I reeaallyy need!" You get the picture. After a while, I found "my sound" and have gigged about every month, been complimented on tone etc., competent in my abilaties, done a few recording sessions via invitation, and feel I can hold my own. The gear I settled on, for about the past 3 1/2 years rocks and is not the initial "pawn shop specials" as in the beginning. I have used pedals to color my tone at times, tried this amp and that etc. All of it of course was chasing what I thought and believed was THE tone...
    You get the picture and points...
    Here's the deal; what does one do if after all the expenses, trials, victories, defeats, days waiting for gear to arrive, journeys, cash et al etc... you plug into a used 500w 210 combo, and you are soulfully, spiritually, tonaly, sonicly, and whateverthehellelse you want to add complete??
    The Stingray sounded like it is supposed to, a simple cable to input, 4 band EQ on amp set, power on...and that's it. No pedals, compressors, and the edifice you thought you had built is rocked to it's core and after playing you can't stop talking with whomever will entertain your voice as you rave and rave like you ARE in the promised land of milk and honey, basist heaven, Shangra La, pulling your first Ollie-360-Variel on a 12 foot vert, held your first born for the first time...
    What do you do? I'm totally serious. I'm ready to "dump it all" yesterday. Thousands of dollars of gear (except for my Stingrays...sorry). I mean, the gear I have is awesome, bomb proof high quality gear etc. Like a Red Pill moment of enlightenment, clarity with my 3rd eye, one with the frequency of the universe. Do you just dump it because of a combo, that can use an extension cab that if you dumped all your other gear, you'd probably have enough dough to purchase a couple dozen of the combo that brought/brings about sheer sonic ecstasy?
    I am in a state of disbelief.
    Total price for a used combo I bought to leave in a rehearsal space...used...
    $250 plus tax.
    A new one without extension cab...about $900. Canmakedisshiup.
    what do you do.

Signed,
    Rocked

2. Just be happy. For now.

3. What ever it is it’ll never last!! :roflmao:

shoot-r, DirtDog, JRA and 27 others like this.
  4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    One buys the thing and stops worrying. I did exactly the same about 3 years ago: Discovered the GK MB500 210 combo, bought it, dumped my other gear, upgraded my basses and pedalboard with the leftover cash never looked back.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Enough with the suspense...tell us what this magic combo is! ;)

boilingTheDead, tubatodd, AYC and 5 others like this.
  6. When I started, I was the victim of a lot of bad advice, poorly considered opinions, and the resulting bad choices. And that was in a pre-Internet world, I can only grimly envision the head-spinning confusion that could quickly result if I were starting out now and reading from the various bass websites.

It dawned on me I had no knowledge base (and certainly not the experience or miles under my belt) to separate BS from fact. So I began to educate myself, and learn the basics to better inform my choices. I still work on that today, 30-odd years on.

Bass can be baffling in that the same rig can sound so different from one room to another, and even on different days in the same place.

Another confusing thing is that we often kill ourselves to pick out the 'right bass' and the amp gets nowhere near the amount of homework, or vice-versa.

It is ABSOLUTELY crucial to remember this equation:

Your Tone = Your Bass + Your Amp + Effects, If Used

An unplugged bass has no tone. An Amp with no bass plugged into it makes no sound (hopefully!), as do the effects. It's ONLY when these pieces are united that we do what we do, and music is possible. You have to think of this as your instrument, not the bass or amp alone. The wrong amp can make the best bass just sound wrong, and exceptional amps can reveal a bass' shortcomings that may not have been audible on lesser amps and cabs. It happens.

I always suggest a solid, serviceable bass (plays/stays in tune, stable neck, quiet electronics, personally manageable size and weight) plugged with a good cable into a quality amp that preferably is a little bigger than what you need in your situation.

These are the basics, the meat and potatoes. Master this, find your tone that's repeatable and suitable. Then, if you must, add effects in moderate amounts: You want them to be transparent, not some squalling mess that instantly adds a lot of noise and/or drastic unwanted changes in tone or output level. That's just asking for aggravation.

Most of us have at one time or another wired up some crazy rig, only to find later that the nice bass I bought plugged straight into a good, different amp, with no effects ('straight, no chaser . . . ) was just a sudden . . . . . revelation. I'd take this as a good sign you're well on your way to seeing things a little clearer.

But . . . . . as our Canadian friend Paul points out, this new fave that you've found . . . . . may not be that this time next year ! For most of us, it's a moving target for a long time . . . . .but at least you'll be smarter and better-educated to continue the quest.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It happens to me about once every two years. :D

I also wind up coming full circle to loving things I had no use for 30 years ago.

Short version? The tone nirvana you have found with this combo is short-lived as well. Something else will blow you away a couple years from now.

Just ride the wave, my friend. Ride the wave.

shoot-r, DirtDog, basslifter and 19 others like this.
  8. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    It doesn't matter what rig I play through, it still sounds like me, lol. Most people are just naturally curious and want to try this or that based on whatever assumptions. Sell it all now, and maybe a few weeks or months, you might have wished you didn't, but then again you might be glad you did, but then again you might start chasing something else

headband, Mili and juancaminos like this.
  9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    happy for the OP, but geez, it's just bass amps after all. :cool:

10. Turbo Sparky

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    That's what it is exactly! I am stupified! I feel like Bruce Willis's character in "12 Monkeys."

superheavyfunk and redwingxix like this.
  11. Turbo Sparky

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    GK MB500 210 combo.
    I had a 700RBII, NEO 410 and NEO 115 previously, along with a MB500 (always said it's the best bang for the buck in the GK digital line-up), and a MB800. Never liked the different combinations with them, so I dumped them. I even did an A/B comparason/equalization between the GK combo and my Mesa D800+ before rehearsal to match the Mesa EQ as close to the GK combo as humanly possible.
    I play in a post-hc trio currently, and we're LOUD and clear even at rehearsals...zero zip nada issues sitting in the mix, being heard, punched through like a champ...and the fellas came out of their shells and said, "Holy shi...! That sounds amazing." Heard that once or twice before from them at gigs when I was tied to my Aguilar DB751, Barefaced 610, a compressor and a MXR bass distortion DI box with the "color" button engaged.
    Typical rehearsal rig is/was D800+, MXR compressor, and Barefaced Super Twin (212).
    cantbaleedisshih!

The Rage likes this.
  12. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    LOL, he thinks its over, newbies, they are so cute...GAS never ends...accept it, enjoy it, be a slave to it...Rock on!

DirtDog, scf4003, todd burns and 19 others like this.
  13. Make sure you feel the same way next week:bassist:

14. Sell it all. To me. Cheap.

wildman2, pappabass and Eric DK like this.
  15. Fender Rumble strikes again!

16. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    A working-class bassist is something to be.

17. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    You forgot the most important part of that equation... the player.

@Eric DK,
    Maybe set a future point in time at which you re-evaluate the situation. Is this GK MB500 210 combo still IT? If so, then perhaps start selling stuff. But the fact you are on TalkBass does not bode well for sticking with any certain piece(s) of gear. ;)

- John

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good for you, but I ain't selling my pedals in this or any lifetime.

19. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It wasn't the combo amp, it was the room. The trick is to only play in that room from now on, with the amp in that exact spot.

Otherwise, everything will change and it's back to square one. You'll have to reset, starting over with "pawn shop specials".

It's true.

20. Ever seen a video of yourself walking? You look weird compared to others. In reality you walk normal.
    Like playing bass. You think the tone is bad but in reality Your bass sounds fine. Some of the best bass players I have been around play normal P or dual humbucker basses. Passive or active preamps. Good amps & no pedals. Is the stingray you have the one with the single pickup close to the bridge? It yes, it has a bright tone. My son has a Ray 34, I can't get a good tone unless I turn bass all the way up, mid & treble all the way down on the guitar. I have to set it to the extreme to get the tone people want. Just for fun, try a different p/u configuration bass. I personally like active preamp humbuckers. Simple is better in bass. Trying to chase that perfect tone is like a racecar driver trying to go faster.
    You may just have to go to Luckenbach, Texas
    Also, stay out of the music store.....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    retslock likes this.