1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Oct 18, 2013.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    A buddy of mine got a bad surprise this evening. He has a Carvin B2000 head and a 4 x 10 cab. When he turned on his head sparks started flying out the back and it smelled burning but he turned it off right away. He said he had loaned it to a buddy the night before. The head is just over one year old and I suspect it is out of warranty. I am thinking some kind of short. I know that volume/gain wise if you screw around and over gain the amp you can end up messing the head up if you are not careful. He sent an email to Carvin but was wondering what could have caused it and what happened. Thanks in advance for any advice.....

2. Something was spilled in the amp, a component failed, some damaged happened in transit, design error.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Don't loan your girlfriend/wife to your friend's buddy. :bag:

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    It could just be a coincidence that this occurred after being loaned out. Any signs of abuse externally?

5. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Did the amp smell wierd before you plugged it in? I'd be willing to bet your "buddy" knew all about the damage and now owes you an explanation, an apology as well as the cash to get your amp fixed.

6. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sorry, I misread that. Your buddy is owed the aforementioned things. And skip the repair, the knucklehead in question owes him the cash to buy a new amp. Schmucko the clown can keep the blown one.

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks for the advice guys. My buddy is going to,have a little heart to heart with the guy who borrowed his head to see if he owns up to anything. Wll keep you posted. Really sucks because his warranty is out by a month or two. That said, if it was negligence that led to the amp sparking out then no warranty would cover that. From what's know there was no burning smell until after he turned it on.....

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It sucks when something breaks right after the warranty runs out. When this happened to me twice (non-bass gear), my credit card company gave me a full refund after filling out a simple online form. The credit card has a one-year automatic extension of the manufacturer's warranty for anything I buy with it. Maybe your buddy has this protection.