1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blown Cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dwm612, May 1, 2006.

1. dwm612

dwm612 Guest

Nov 2, 2005
    Olney, Maryland
    :crying: :scowl: :help:

Ok, so I made a big mistake... I used instrument cable to connect my head to my cab. I'm playing through a Hartke BA3500 head powering a GK 410BLX II cab. Well the other day at band practice I think I may have blown the cab. I'm getting no power out of the cab, all I get is distorted fuzz. I checked the head and it's fine thank god, but no matter what, whether I use instrument OR speaker cable nothing is bringing my cab back to normal. Is there a quick simple fix I'm missing or is this going to require speaker/cab replacement??

Thanks, Danny

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Using the wrong cable wouldn't blow the speaker cabinet. First check the cab with a different head to make sure it is the cabinet that's the problem. it may be the amp.

3. dwm612

dwm612 Guest

Nov 2, 2005
    Olney, Maryland
    I've already checked the head through a different cab and it was fine. Nothing wrong with the amp, my guess is I've blown a single speaker in the cab which has completely thrown my OHMs off... Any ideas or am I SOL

4. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Sound like you blew one or more speakers. You should test each speaker one at a time.

5. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    take the grill off the amp. use 2 fingers from both hands,put them on the speaker cone on either side of the dust cover and gently push down on the cone. you want to be sure your pushing the cone evenly from both sides;if its not going down straight the coil rubs on the magnet. if your doing it correctly,and it feels/sounds scratchy you probably burnt the voice coil and speaker needs to be replaced/reconed.the varnish like material on the speaker voice coil burns,causing the wire to rub & wear away the wire untill no sound at all comes out. my first thought would be you damaged the amp head,but if it sounds ok thru another cab then you probably toasted your speaker! btw;if your speaker cones burnt you can damage amp head by continuing using it.

6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    In the GK 4x10 cabs, the drivers are 16 ohm, and in parallel, so if you just disconnect the bad one (if only one) until you can repair/replace it, then you can run the cab just fine, and since it will then be closer to 6 ohms, it will tend to self-limit and not allow the other speakers to take too much power.

I may sound a bit different, with the dead driver effectively acting as a port, but if you need to have it running, this will work . . .

- Tim