1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

blown cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhon, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    my cab is not working and im not sure what happened. I did the battery test on the speaker itself and the speakers pumped. i then decided to do the battery test again but instead i plugged a speaker cable in the input jack on the cab and did the test again and nothing at all. i then plugged the cab to a different amp and the tweeter worked but the speakers didnt. i dont get whats wrong? my amp never clipped once so i dont know how they blown if they blew. its an 8 ohm cab and my amp can go up to a 4 ohm load. any insights as to whats wrong?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could just be something disconnected. Check all your connections again.

3. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    i did and saw nothing wrong, im wondering how this happened and if i could just wire straight to a jack and get rid of the crossover/tweeter since i never turn it on

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Yep maybe something loose, or a bad/dirty input jack on the cabinet. also depending on the design some jacks are switching/bypassing other parallel jacks for fullrange or isolated High pass or low pass inputs for the crossover. the switch mechanism might be bent/broken/ or fouled up with dirt, beer soda or any other sticky wonder. also speaker connectors at the speaker might be broken loose, bad solder or have corrosion on the connectors making no connection or intermittent connections.
    Intermittent connections or failures are the worse, sometimes the work sometime they dont

Also if it has a crossover and their is a board that the input jacks are soldered too. Either the jack is bad or the solder connections might be broken loose or cracking on the board and need to be touched up with solder again, open it up and start the investigation.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    possible but you need to bypass the crossover completely dont just unplug the tweeter.
    do a battery test directly to the woofer to see if its connectors are lose or if it is blown

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "could just wire straight to a jack.... "

Yes, that's a good way of checking if the driver is working. However, its likely that you cannot leave it that way as your crossover may have an effect on the cab's tone.

7. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Something else to check...

I recently repaired a Carvin 4x10 where only the bottom 2 speakers worked. I did the 9v battery test on each speaker and 3 were fine. On the other I found that a small gauge wire that went from the speaker terminal to the cone (or wherever it goes, I'm no genius when it comes to speaker anatomy :oops:) was disconnected. It was originally soldered and the solder joint failed.

I fixed that and reassembled the cab and it worked fine.

--jack

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The woofer should be good then and the problem is somewhere up the chain. Bad solder on the circuit board, bad connection/jack, etc. If the woofer tested good by itself, out of the cab, it's OK. If the tweeter was working with the other amp, check the connections and traces on the circuit board. Sound was getting past the jack if the tweeter worked.

9. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    i fixed it by wiring the speakers straight to a input jack, thanks for the help. the crossover definitely went bad i used my multimeter to check, i know how to solder very well and i am pretty knowledgeable about electronics should i try to fix the crossover or just replace it?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do you really want the tweeter? If not, I'd bag it and not worry about it. But I'd call the company that made it and find out how much a replacement is before I went digging around in it. Then again, I'm not skilled at that kind of stuff at all. Might be fun to try to fix it first. You can always get a replacement if it doesn't work out.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What type of crossover is it? A lot of bass cabs just have a filter to keep lows away from the tweeter. There's really a "mainline" going through the board and the woofer is getting a fullrange signal already. That could mean a bad connection, broken trace or crack in the part of the circuit board.

If it has a lowpass filter as well, it'll have at least an inductor, maybe some other parts inline with the woofer

Your tweeter works, so check connections/traces in the woofer line. A meter doesn't work to check capacitors, the meter battery will try to charge them up but they won't pass DC. Should still get a resistance/continuity reading on the woofer line though, even through the inductor if there is one as there are no caps in series with it.

Bad/broken connections are usually the culprit. If the actual circuit board is broken, you can mount the parts to a piece of wood and wire them up that way. The circuit board makes manufacture/assembly easier, but it isn't a must have.

Can order a new one if you like. It'll cost more than the parts on it though.

12. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    i contacted avatar its like 60 dollars to replace it
    thanks for the wood tip, i might try that but i think the board is fine, i looked at some of the solder joints and i think they might have cracked thanks for all the help