1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

blown drivers in swr cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pektop, Jan 9, 2012.

1. pektop

pektop

Jan 8, 2012
    Hello,

This is the situation:

I have blown 2 of my 4 speakers in my 4x10 workingpro cab (8 ohms ,400Watts).
    I'm out of warrenty....
    And want to start playing as soon as possible ,so ... i want to fix it myself. But i've never done this before ,so i have a few questions for you guys.

-Can i just chance 2 speakers,( i was thinking of eminence legend BP 102,200w) or do i need to chance them all ?

-mayby just explain the impedance once more, just in case...

-And if you have any advice , what speaker to get or what NOT to do,etc... please do so .

Thanks ,Steven

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just have the 2 reconed. You cannot do this yourself, but it's cheaper than buying 2 new spkrs. If you DO by 2 new speakers, they MUST be exactly like the other 2. Iow, all 4 need to be the same.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    As far as I know SWR used Eminence and Pas speakers.
    older models using pas and newer using eminence

SWR tech support should be able to tell you what they are. Based on serial numbers on the cab and speakers.

mismatching speakers is a sure way to waste money and get a awful sounding cabinet. so you would have to replace all of them.
    or recone or replace only 2 with the proper part number from SWR

since the cab is blown, you can pull those speakers out and start hunting for serial numbers. possibly 2 , one on the magnet and another inked on the back of the cone. Likewise if it is a special design eminence speaker based on a off the shelf model a recone shop will be able to identify the proper cone and use that based on the number stamped on the cone.

4. If you really want to get going sooner than later you could look into upgrading to a used Golliath series 410. They pop up all the time and usually at a great price! That could keep you up and running while you get the other speakers reconed and then simply keep the cab you prefer and sell the other. I've never heard the working pro cabinets but my guess is the Golliath will be better. They're very well made and because of the weight, the used market doesn't call to much for them.