Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown drivers on SWR 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Feb 13, 2004.

1. So somehow I've managed to blow both speakers on my SWR 12-Pack (2x12 8 ohm) cabinet. They're both torn on the outside edge of the cone where the paper meets the rubber section. Is this a warranty thing or do I need to find replacement drivers? I'm waiting on a response from SWR. What kind of drivers could I replace these with?
    I'm not entirely sure how this happened. I use this cabinet with a 4x10 8 ohm ampeg cabinet daisy chained to put a 4 ohm load on my vintage SVT. The SWR cab is rated for 400 watts and the ampeg 300 watts. I shouldn't have been able to blow it theoretically.

2. Probably would be cheaper to recone them that to replace them. A comparable emminece Delta 12F goes for about $115. SWR should be able to recone them for significantly less. I'd call them if I were you and see what they can do.

3. I'll give you a dollar if Fender/SWR is not going to tell you something like:

"Hi,

You may have heard that SWR has recently become a member of the Fender family of musical instruments. We’re very proud of SWR’s products and will certainly continue to produce quality SWR amplifiers.
    We’re not able to provide reconing services, but you can order new speakers from your local Fender Dealer. The link below will take you to our online Dealer Finder which will help you locate the nearest one:
    www.fender.com/resources/dealerfinder
    If you have any trouble locating the parts locally, you may be able to order them from Music Parts Guru at 847-202-5185.
    Thanks again for choosing SWR.
    Best regards,
    xxx
    Consumer Relations "

And then when you reply with:

"You're Kidding, right?"

They'll come back with something like:

"Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry and your interest in SWR.
    No joke.
    You might check with Audio Design Service at 818-754-0467. They used to do factory service for SWR, and may have still have the resources to help with a recone. Also, most major cities have shops that provide reconing services, you might check into that route.
    Thanks again for choosing SWR.
    Best regards,
    xxx
    Consumer Relations"

Not that I'm cutting and pasting any emails of mine or anything. Your best bet, find a local place that does reconing.

4. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    That sort of failure ought to be covered by warranty. Damage from the amplifier would be manifested in the voice coil, or possibly by creasing of the cone. What you describe sounds like a material/workmanship problem.

Should reconing be necessary, I have had good experience with these folks:

http://www.webervst.com/

Good luck

5. I don't know about it being a warranty issue. If the glue came undone, obvious warranty issue. But a tear would sound like "abuse" (I'm not accusing you!!!) A few years back I had the power section of a brand new Bass 750 go- it sent 100% power to the speakers for a second, then stopped, then 100%, stop... lather rinse repeat... Anyway, the cones tore around the center of the speaker, not from the outside.

Also keep in mind speakers are heavy, shipping is going to be a bear, and regardless if you have them insured you're screwed if the postman tosses them around. Not that I know that from experience either...

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've used Weber VST for recones and Ted does an excellent job at a great price. He doesn't use an OEM kit unless you supply it, but he's done fine by me on four EV 15s.

As for Eminence Delta 12LFs, I'd recommend ordering them from Dave at Avatar Speakers...dave@avatarspeakers.com or www.avatarspeakers.com His prices are about half of what Scotius2001 quoted (unless that was the price for a pair).

The damage sounds like overexcursion. I don't know if you have to break in SWR 12s like one does Acmes...

7. I've been using it for almost 2 years so I hope it's not a breakin in thing. Also, I'm in Canada so if possible I'd like to get new drivers here instead of paying duty.