Blown EMG BQC preamp..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by robsmirc, Nov 7, 2003.

1. had my pu's and preamp replaced recently with emg pu's and a BQC pre amp.

at last gig noticed a harsh crackling and popping through the pa and amp.

took it to the repair man who informed me that the preamp was blown and that he'd never seen one blow before.

lucky it was only done a month ago and is still under warranty.

has this happened to any one else? are EMG preamps (or pu's) prone to damage?

think i should find out before its too late to say i don't want them anymore and spend my money on something a little more reliable (especially for the money i paid.. almost $850 in australia for complete replacement/installation)
  2. I've never heard of this happening before, sounds like you got a rare bad set or it was improperly installed.

Just as an FYI, I've been playing EMG actives for 10 years, no problems.
  3. I had the same problem with a VMC installed on my Spector 4. Nothing much would happen till you maxed the control out, then you'd get a really crazy hiss with nothing but hi-mids. Totally unuseable for playing.

I've left it in there 'cos I'm too lazy to take it out.

I also have a Warmoth Deluxe 5 running 2 EMG 40DCs in V-T-V-T config and have found that the taper on the volumes when used with both pickups on is hell dodgy.

I don't get the pickup mix until almost to the end of graduation then you have to turn carefully to get the sound I want.

I love the sound of EMGs in general. I'd take Barts for the warm rootsy vibe, but for cut & slice, EMGs rule.

Advice, anyone?
  4. Tommy Preston

Tommy Preston

Apr 7, 2008
    Hey Fellow,
    Was looking for this very thread!!!
    I just replaced pups in a Spector Legend 5.EMG SSD's ..for Emg 40CS and 40DC.W/ EMgBQC control.
    I just have gotten upstairs from trying to "Dial it in"..At first I called my tech. after picking it up today and said "I want to put the Tone Pump Jr. back in!!I wasn't too happy w/ the tones . He said play it a week or so then decide.Wise man. The BQC has two "Dip" or knee switches w/ 4 possible settings. My tech also wired it 18 volt.I finally settled on the settinig w/ both switches off. My next fav. is switch one in the on .switch 2 off.The last setting gives VERY BRIGHTtrble...but useable for slapping..but both switches off...well it's faster and easier to go from finger style to slap.So I went with least this week...will try the other one again I'm sure..AAHH the elusive 'TONE'.But it was time consuming to go back and forth..cavity cover on and off so batt. didn't fall out.But was worth it. After about two plus hours that's what I foun. Hope it helps.As for the EMG's dying..never cooked any myself....
    Next is my SR506..USA NTMB I think..any thoughts on difference between those and the MKI Pres . and USA MK barts.
    Good luck,
    Tommy Preston
  5. NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    You're about 4 years and 8 months late on this one Tommy :smug:
  6. Tommy Preston

Tommy Preston

Apr 7, 2008
    Gotta look closer at those dates!!!